This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2nd Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau|
|Assumed office |
December 11, 2018
|Deputy||Brian Johnson (acting)|
|Preceded by||Richard Cordray|
|Born||December 28, 1974|
Chagrin Falls, Ohio, U.S.
|Education||Marquette University (BS)|
Georgetown University (JD)
Kathleen Laura Kraninger (born December 28, 1974) is an American government official serving as Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau since December 11, 2018. She previously worked in the White House Office of Management and Budget in the Trump administration.
She is a graduate of Marquette University, where she studied history and political science and earned her certification to teach high school social studies. After graduation from college, she taught as a Peace Corps volunteer in Ukraine, which redirected her professional career to government services. She has served since then in various US government offices.
Kraninger comes from Chagrin Falls, Ohio. She studied at Marquette University (1993–97), where she graduated magna cum laude with a BS in political science and history, then studied at Georgetown University Law Center (2003–07), where she obtained her JD.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Program Associate Director for General Government
- U.S. Senate, Republican Clerk for the Subcommittee on Homeland Security at the Senate Committee on Appropriations
- Office of Homeland Security (OHS), Deputy Assistant Secretary for Policy (Screening Coordination)/Director of the Screening Coordination Office
- Department of Transportation (DOT), Advisor to the Secretary for Policy and Assistant Director of Legislative Affairs
- Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee (HSGAC), Professional Staff Member
- U.S. Peace Corps, Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine, September 1997 until November 1999
Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
On June 16, 2018, White House Deputy Press Secretary Lindsay Walters announced that President Donald Trump would nominate Kraninger as Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, a position then held by OMB Director Mick Mulvaney. Her nomination was criticized for a perceived lack of qualifications by consumer groups and conservatives in the Senate. Senator Elizabeth Warren threatened to block the nomination over Kraninger's alleged role in the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy, which drew criticism for separating migrant children from their parents at the U.S./Mexico border. Kraninger was confirmed on December 6, 2018 in a 50–49 straight party-line vote.
- O'Donnell, Katy (December 6, 2018). "Senate confirms Trump nominee Kraninger to lead consumer bureau". Politico. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- OMB Personnel, US Government Manual, accessed 06/16/2018
- Perlman, Derek Kravitz,Al Shaw,Claire. "Kathleen Kraninger | Trump Town". ProPublica. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- Kathleen L. Kraninger (interview), C-SPAN
- Clozel, Lalita. "Kathy Kraninger to Be Nominated to Head Consumer Financial Protection Bureau". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- (ProPublica), Al Shaw. "Kathleen Kraninger Financial Disclosure". documentcloud.org. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- http://www.marquette.edu/alumni/awards-2014/recipient_kraninger.php Young Alumna of the Year Award
- Kathy Kraninger Joins The Sentinel HS Group as Senior Director. JOC.com
- Lane, Sylvan (June 16, 2018). "Trump to nominate budget official as next consumer bureau chief". TheHill. Retrieved June 16, 2018.
- "Trump set to nominate OMB's Kraninger to succeed Mulvaney as consumer watchdog, sparking criticism from both left and right". CNBC. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- Smith, Ryan. "Warren threatens to block Trump's CFPB nominee". MPA Mag. Retrieved June 19, 2018.
- "US Senate Roll Call Votes 115th Congress - 2nd Session". United States Government Publishing Office. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
| Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau