|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly from the 23rd Legislative District|
January 12, 1982 – June 13, 1986
|Preceded by||James J. Barry Jr.|
|Succeeded by||C. Richard Kamin|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly from the 14th Legislative District|
January 8, 1974 – January 12, 1982
|Preceded by||District created|
|Succeeded by||Joseph L. Bocchini Jr.|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly from District 6A|
January 13, 1970 – January 8, 1974
|Preceded by||John A. Selecky|
|Succeeded by||District abolished|
|Born||September 27, 1923|
Trenton, New Jersey
|Died||January 31, 1997 (aged 73)|
Trenton, New Jersey
Weidel was born on September 27, 1923, in Trenton, New Jersey. His father, Karl Weidel, Jr., ran an insurance and real estate brokerage, established in 1915. He attended Trenton Catholic High School, Duke University, and Rutgers Law School. During World War II he joined the United States Navy and became a pilot. After the war, he entered the family business, taking over the insurance division in 1949.
Weidel was a resident of Pennington, Mercer County, New Jersey. He became the first Republican in a generation elected to the Mercer County Board of Chosen Freeholders in 1966. He was first elected to the New Jersey General Assembly in 1969 to serve in the District 6A, represented the 14th Legislative District from 1974 to 1982, and the 23rd Legislative District from 1982 until his resignation from office. In the New Jersey General Assembly he worked on no-fault insurance reform and also supported the "right-to-die" movement during the Karen Ann Quinlan case.
Weidel resigned from the Assembly in 1986 to take a position as executive director of the Unsatisfied Claim and Judgment Fund in the New Jersey Department of Insurance. His vacant seat was filled by C. Richard Kamin. Weidel retired from state government in 1990.
- Kestenbaum, Lawrence. "Index to Politicians: Weemes to Weinland". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- Social Security Death Index via Ancestry.com. "Name: Karl Weidel; [...] Born: 27 Sep 1923; Died: 31 Jan 1997; State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (Before 1951)."
- Fitzgerald's Legislative Manual, 1984, p. 262. J.A. Fitzgerald, 1986. Accessed November 9, 2017. "Karl Weidel, Rep., Clinton - Assemblyman Weidel was born Sept. 27, 1923, in Trenton. He lives at One Charles Way, Clinton."
- "Our History". Weidel Realtors. Archived from the original on 2009-02-11. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- McGraw, Seamus (1997-02-03). "Ex-assemblyman will be buried near N.J. capitol". The Record. North Jersey Media Group. Archived from the original on 2012-10-21. Retrieved 2008-10-11.
- "Karl Weidel Dies In Fatal Plunge". Hunterdon County Democrat. 1997-02-06. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
Karl Weidel III, who represented Hunterdon as an assemblyman in the state Legislature for 14 years, died Friday, Jan. 31, 1997 in Trenton. He was 73.[permanent dead link]
- McGourty, John (1997-02-01). "Ailing ex-legislator leaps to his death". The Times (Trenton). p. A1. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
The Mercer County Medical Examiner's Office ruled the 11:30 a.m. death a suicide[permanent dead link]