Karl L. Schultz
|Commandant of the United States Coast Guard|
|Assumed office |
June 1, 2018
|Preceded by||Paul F. Zukunft|
|Education||United States Coast Guard Academy (BS)|
University of Connecticut (MPA)
|Branch/service||United States Coast Guard|
|Years of service||1983–present|
|Commands||Commandant of the United States Coast Guard|
Coast Guard Atlantic Area
Coast Guard Defense Force East
Eleventh Coast Guard District
Coast Guard Sector Miami
|Battles/wars||Global War on Terrorism|
• September 11 attacks
|Awards||Coast Guard Distinguished Service Medal|
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit (4)
Meritorious Service Medal (3)
Coast Guard Commendation Medal (4)
Coast Guard Achievement Medal (2)
Early life and education
Schultz is a native of East Hartford, Connecticut. He graduated from the United States Coast Guard Academy in 1983 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering. He received a Master's degree in Public Administration from the University of Connecticut in 1992, and in 2006 he completed a one year National Security Fellowship at the Kennedy School of Government.
United States Coast Guard
Schultz's operational assignments include Commander, Coast Guard Sector Miami as well as command tours aboard cutters USCGC Venturous, USCGC Acacia, and USCGC Farallon. Staff assignments include Chief of the Office of Congressional and Governmental Affairs; Congressional Liaison Officer to the United States House of Representatives; Liaison Officer to the United States Department of State, Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs; Assignment Officer at the Coast Guard Personnel Command, and Command Duty Officer in the Seventh Coast Guard District Operations Center in Miami.
Schultz has served as Director of Operations (J3), United States Southern Command in Doral, Florida where he directed joint service military operations across the Caribbean Basin, Central and South America. Prior flag officer assignments were Commander, Eleventh Coast Guard District, where he was responsible for multi-mission operations from California to Peru, and Director of Governmental and Public Affairs at Coast Guard Headquarters in Washington, D.C., where he was responsible for external engagement with Congress, the media, and inter-governmental entities.
Schultz assumed the duties as Commander, Coast Guard Atlantic Area in August 2016. As commander, Schultz oversaw Coast Guard rescue and recovery efforts for hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Maria, and Nate in 2017.
Commandant of the Coast Guard
On March 8, 2018, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen announced that President Donald Trump intended to nominate Schultz for the position of Commandant of the United States Coast Guard, succeeding Admiral Paul F. Zukunft. His nomination and promotion to admiral was confirmed by a voice vote of the United States Senate on May 9, 2018. Schultz relieved Admiral Zukunft on June 1, 2018.
Awards and decorations
- "PN1706 — Vice Adm. Karl L. Schultz — Coast Guard". U.S. Congress. March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- "Secretary Nielsen Statement on President Trump's Nomination of Vice Admiral Karl L. Schultz to be the Next Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard". DHS.gov. March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- "Vice Adm. Karl Schultz Nominated to be Next Coast Guard Commandant". USNI News. March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- "Vice Admiral Karl L. Schultz". Department of Homeland Security. September 15, 2016. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Commander, Atlantic Area – VADM Karl Schultz". www.atlanticarea.uscg.mil. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Secretary Nielsen Statement on President Trump's Nomination of Vice Admiral Karl L. Schultz to be the Next Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard". Department of Homeland Security. March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "PN1706 — Vice Adm. Karl L. Schultz — Coast Guard". U.S. Congress. May 9, 2018. Retrieved May 10, 2018.
- Werner, Ben (March 8, 2018). "Vice Adm. Karl Schultz Nominated to be Next Coast Guard Commandant – USNI News". USNI News. Retrieved March 12, 2018.
- "Vice Admiral Paul F. Zukunft United States Coast Guard Commander, Pacific Area Commander, Coast Guard Defense Force West" (PDF). United States Coast Guard. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karl L. Schultz.|
Paul F. Zukunft
| Commandant of the Coast Guard