Karen Waldbillig Kasich
|First Lady of Ohio|
January 10, 2011 - January 14, 2019
|Preceded by||Frances Strickland|
|Succeeded by||Frances DeWine|
December 26, 1963
Upper Arlington, Ohio, U.S.
John Kasich (m. 1997)
|Alma mater||Ohio State University|
Kasich was born in Upper Arlington, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus, and obtained a bachelor's degree in communications from Ohio State University. She and then-Congressman Kasich were married in 1997.
As a result of the loss of her mother to congestive heart failure, Kasich has been involved in multiple statewide efforts to increase awareness surrounding women's heart health. She has partnered with the Ohio State University’s College of Nursing and the Million Hearts Campaign, which promotes health screenings that aid in the prevention of heart attacks and strokes. She also serves as statewide ambassador for After-School All-Stars Ohio, "a program that provides at-risk students with after-school academic support, mentoring, and fitness activities in a safe environment."
Kasich is currently a member of both The Partnership at Drugfree.org’s public relations advisory board and the Ohio Valley’s Go Red for Women Council (a program of the American Heart Association which empowers women to live heart-healthy lifestyles). Additionally, she is an Ohio Department of Transportation’s Safe Routes to School ambassador, and her efforts involve encouraging children to walk and bike to school safely and confidently.
Along with her husband, John Kasich, she has toured Ohio to promote Ohio’s youth drug prevention program, Start Talking!.
A self-professed "fitness freak," Kasich enjoys swimming and running, and has completed multiple marathons.
- Ohio Voters
- Theiss, Evelyn (13 January 2011). "Ohio's new first lady: Fitness for health, not just appearance". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Saunders, A. (27 September 2010). "Focused on her family". Columbus Dispatch.
- Marcin, Tim (21 July 2015). "Who Is Karen Kasich? Meet Ohio Gov John Kasich's Wife, Potential First Lady for 2016". International Business Times. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Happy Couple". Columbus Dispatch. 23 March 1997.
- "Karen Kasich, twin daughters take center stage at John Kasich's campaign kickoff". Washington Times. 21 July 2015. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Rowland, Darrel (26 December 2015). "Family comes first for Karen Kasich, not the grind of presidential campaign trail". Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Tuohy, Dan (19 December 2016). "Kasich says presidential campaign season has strengthened his faith". New Hampshire Union Leader. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- Davis, Linsey (1 February 2016). "John Kasich's Wife Karen Kasich: 'He Really Wants to Bring All People Up'". ABC News.
- "Karen W. Kasich, Ohio's First Lady > about". firstlady.ohio.gov. Retrieved 2016-04-02.
- "Who Is Karen Kasich? Meet Ohio Gov John Kasich's Wife, Potential First Lady For 2016". International Business Times. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
| First Lady of Ohio