Kapil at IISER Mohali Graduation Dinner(2013)
|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, University of Bombay|
|Awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology|
|Fields||Algebraic geometry in mathematics|
|Institutions||Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali|
|Doctoral advisor||S. Ramanan|
Kapil Hari Paranjape is an Indian mathematician specializing in algebraic geometry. He is a Professor of Mathematics at the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali
He was born in Mumbai, Maharashtra near the Kabootar Khana in Dadar but grew up in New Delhi. He completed his schooling from Sardar Patel Vidyalaya in 1977. He joined Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur where he pursued a five-year integrated master’s programme in Mathematics and graduate with first class distinction in 1982.
He joined School of Mathematics, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research as was awarded his PhD Mathematics in 1992.
He worked as a Reader at TIFR from 1993-1998. During this he also held various visiting positions at University of Chicago, University of Paris-Sud and University of Warwick. He was appointed as Professor at the Theoretical Statistics and Mathematics Unit of the Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore. He moved to Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai in 1996. Between 2001 and 2009 he has held visiting positions at California Institute of Technology. Since 2009 he is a professor of Mathematics at Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali.
He was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in 2005, the highest science award in India, in the mathematical sciences category. His citation read "Dr Paranjape has made outstanding contributions in the field of algebraic geometry, especially the theory of algebraic cycles. He has made highly significant contributions in connecting Hodge Theory to the study of Chow Groups. He has also established deep relations between Calabi-Yau varieties and modular forms.". He is also a recipient of various other honors, among them are
- Fellowship of Indian Academy of Sciences Bangalore, 1997
- Fellowship of National Academy of Sciences Allahabad, 1999
- Associate of the ICTP, Trieste, 1999-2001
- B. M. Birla award for young scientists, 1999
- DST Swarnajayanti Grant, 2001
- NBHM National Lecturer, India, 2004-2005
- Debian Developer, 2007
- Fellowship of Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, 2009
- J C Bose National Fellowship, 2010
- Fellowship of The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), 2019
- "Kapil Hari Paranjape". Linux Gazette. Archived from the original on 27 December 2013. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
- "Mast Kalandar". Linux Gazette. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- "Indian Fellow: Kapil Hari Pranjape". Indian National Science Academy. Retrieved 29 June 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Awards For Science And Technology 2005". Department of Science & Technology, Govt of India. Archived from the original on 14 September 2013. Retrieved 29 June 2013.
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|