The KTM Komuter Northern Sector (Malay: KTM Komuter Sektor Utara) is one of the five KTM Komuter services run by Malaysian rail operator Keretapi Tanah Melayu. The service was introduced on 11 September 2015 following the completion of the Ipoh-Padang Besar Electrification and Double-Tracking Project in December 2014.
Currently, the KTM Komuter Northern Sector consists of two routes, namely the Butterworth–Padang Besar route and the Bukit Mertajam–Padang Rengas route. The Bukit Mertajam station acts as the interchange station between the two routes.
Lines, stations and rolling stock
The KTM Komuter Northern Section consists of two routes:
The two route network became effective 1 September 2016 when the route between Bukit Mertajam – Padang Rengas replaced the earlier Butterworth–Kamunting route. The Bukit Mertajam Station become the sole interchange station between the two lines.
|Station Name||Platform type||
|Padang Besar||2 Island||●||Terminus of the Padang Besar section (northern terminus).|
|Bukit Ketri||2 Island||●|
|Anak Bukit||2 Side||●|
|Alor Setar||2 Side||●|
|Sungai Petani||2 Side||●|
|Tasek Gelugor||1 Island 1 Side||●|
|Bukit Mertajam||2 Island||●||���||Interchange station|
|Bukit Tengah||2 Island||●||●|
|Butterworth||2 Island||●||●||Access to George Town by Rapid Ferry.|
|Bagan Serai||2 Side||●|
|Parit Buntar||2 Side||●|
|Nibong Tebal||2 Side||●|
|Simpang Ampat||2 Side||●|
|Padang Rengas||2 Island||●||Terminus of the blue line (southern terminus).|
KTM Komuter Northern Sector has 2 routes, in which has its own schedule.
The KTM Komuter Northern Service was introduced on 11 September 2015. The initial service ran between Gurun in Kedah, Butterworth in Penang and Kamunting in Perak. On 1 January 2016, a service between Butterworth and Padang Besar in Perlis was introduced. With the introduction of KTM Komuter services on this section, the KTM ETS that ran between these stations was scrapped.
On 17 January 2016, the original Gurun-Butterworth-Kamunting route was replaced with two separate routes: Butterworth-Gurun and Butterworth-Kamunting. These two lines together with the Butterworth-Padang Besar line operated until 1 July 2016, when the Butterworth-Gurun route was scrapped.
A further revamp of routes on 1 September 2016 saw the Butterworth-Kamunting line being modified, with the northern terminus moving from Butterworth to Bukit Mertajam, and the southern terminus being extended by two additional stations from Kamunting to include Taiping and ending at Padang Rengas.
- Keretapi Tanah Melayu
- Malaysian Railway System
- New route for KTM Komuter effective 1 September 2016
- "Northern KTM Komuter service pending SPAD approval". The Star. 24 August 2015.
- "Commuter rail to service north soon". The Star. 25 August 2015.
- "Northern folks to enjoy new mode of transportation". The Star. 11 September 2015.
- "KTM Commuter service connecting Kamunting and Gurun launched". The Star. 11 September 2015.
- "KTM Komuter service from Butterworth to Padang Besar launched". The Star. 1 January 2016.
- "Penamatan Perkhidmatan Tren Ets Butterworth – Padang Besar – Butterworth EG9501 Dan EG9502, Bermula 01 Januari 2016" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 February 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2016.
- "Penambahbaikan Perkhidmatan Tren Shuttle KTM Komuter di Sektor Utara" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 February 2016. Retrieved 28 January 2016.