|Born||1972 (age 45–46)|
|Alma mater||Amherst College|
Harvard Graduate School of Education
|Known for||edited numerous|
|Notable work||Will Grayson, Will Grayson (editor)|
The Fault in Our Stars (editor)
Early life & education
Strauss-Gabel grew up in a suburb of New York City called White Plains, the daughter of a forensic photographer and a teacher of home economics. She attended Amherst College where she edited the college newspaper, The Amherst Student, and met her future husband. She graduated cum laude from Amherst, then graduated from the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Strauss-Gabel was associate editor at Clarion Books and was later an editor at Hyperion Books for five years. She is editor and publisher at Dutton Books, an imprint of the Penguin Group. In one week in April 2015, novels that she edited occupied five of the top ten spots. According to one count, she has edited 22 books which were New York Times Bestsellers. She edited numerous titles such as Will Grayson, Will Grayson, a story of two young men sharing the same name but who had different sexual orientations. Her books have won numerous book awards, including the Printz, two Edgars, a Boston Globe-Horn, and the E.B. White Read Aloud Award. She has been described as having a knack for spotting talent and nourishing writers. She was instrumental in helping novelist John Green create the blockbuster book The Fault in Our Stars, a story about the inconvenience of teenaged love in the face of tragedy.
Strauss-Gabel believes that the best results happen when there is an active collaboration between the writer and the editor. She oversees most aspects of book development, from editing to book cover design to marketing. She is a tough editor, known for her "stinging critiques" which are highly sought after by writers, since her changes often lead to highly successful revisions; her editorial letters to writers have been described as being "famously intimidating."
- Sue Corbett, June 13, 2014, Publishers Weekly, Meet the Editor: Julie Strauss-Gabel, Retrieved April 14, 2015, "..Her books have won the Printz, two Edgars, a Boston Globe-Horn Book Award, the E.B. White Read-Aloud Award ... Her editorial letters are famously intimidating..."
- Alexandra Alter, APRIL 10, 2015, The New York Times, Her Stinging Critiques Propel Young Adult Best Sellers, Retrieved April 14, 2015, ".......knack for spotting and developing talent ... novels that she edited hold five of the top 10 spots. She has edited 22 New York Times best sellers....unconventional taste and eye for idiosyncratic literary voices...known for the stinging critiques.."
- MARSHALL HEYMAN, March 18, 2015, Wall Street Journal, Tiny Cooper From ‘Will Grayson, Will Grayson’ Moves Into the Spotlight: The young-adult novel character is moving center stage in David Levithan’s ‘Hold Me Closer: The Tiny Cooper Story’, Retrieved April 14, 2015, "...Strauss-Gabel, an editor at Dutton who worked on “Will Grayson, Will Grayson” ..."
- Ashley Ross, July 23, 2014, Time magazine, New If I Stay Trailer Ups the Romance, Retrieved April 14, 2015, "...focuses on the idea of teenage love being ever-inconvenient...Dutton Publisher Julie Strauss-Gabel edited both books...."
- August 20, 2000, The New York Times, WEDDINGS; Julie Strauss-Gabel, David Feldman, Retrieved April 14, 2015, "...Julie Ellyn Strauss-Gabel ... bride and bridegroom graduated from Amherst College... editors of The Amherst Student...
- Lindsay Deutsch, May 1, 2014, USA Today, Who's 'Popular' now? Teen's memoir leads to movie deal, Retrieved April 14, 2015, ".. 'This is either brilliant, or it's a hot mess,' " says Julie Strauss-Gabel, vice president and publisher of Dutton Books,..."
- STARVROS NIARCHOS FOUNDATION and CHARLES H. REVSON FOUNDATION, April 3, 2015, City Limits, Finalists Announced for 2nd Annual NYC Neighborhood Library Awards, Retrieved April 14, 2015, "...panel of judges, who will select the five winning libraries ... include ... Dutton Children’s Books publisher Julie Strauss-Gabel, ..."
- Maryann Yin, March 28, 2013, Adweek, Penguin Young Readers Group to Publish Book by Esther Grace Earl, Retrieved April 14, 2015, "...Dutton Children’s Books publisher Julie Strauss-Gabel. ..."
- Ashley Ross, January 13, 2015, Time magazine, John Green Takes Fans Inside His Creative Process, Retrieved April 14, 2015, "...“Books... are collaborations... citing the help of Strauss-Gabel...."
- Note: she kept her maiden name after marrying