|Directed by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Produced by||S. Radha Krishna|
|Written by||Trivikram Srinivas|
|Starring||Allu Arjun |
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Cinematography||Chota K. Naidu |
Shyam K. Naidu,
|Edited by||Prawin Pudi|
Haarika & Hassine Creations
|Distributed by||Siri Media and Ficus Inc(Overseas).|
|Box office||104 crores|
Julayi (transl. Wanderer) is a 2012 Indian Telugu-language action comedy film written and directed by Trivikram Srinivas, and was produced by S. Radha Krishna under Haarika & Hassine Creations banner and was presented by DVV Danayya. The film stars Allu Arjun, Ileana D'Cruz, Sonu Sood, Rajendra Prasad, Brahmanandam, Kota Srinivasa Rao, Tanikella Bharani, Rao Ramesh and Brahmaji in the lead roles. The soundtrack was composed by Devi Sri Prasad, with cinematography handled by Chota K. Naidu and his brother Shyam K. Naidu, and editing done by Prawin Pudi. The film was released worldwide on 9 August 2012 to positive reviews, and was commercially successful. The film has garnered the Nandi Award for Best Popular Feature Film. It was remade into Tamil titled as Saagasam.
A thug named Bittu (Sonu Sood) and a local MLA named Varadarajulu (Kota Srinivasa Rao) plan to rob ₹15 billion (US$210 million) (₹1500 crore) from a bank. Ravindra Narayan (Allu Arjun) believes in earning quick money rather than toiling like his father Narayana Moorti (Tanikella Bharani). During a chance meeting with Bittu, Ravi reveals his intention of making quick money by betting on an IPL match and discloses the location of the betting ring. However, the police raids the location, and Ravi is apprehended. During interrogation, Ravi deduces that Bittu has tipped off the police to commit a crime and attempts to convince ACP Raja Manikyam (Rao Ramesh). Bittu successfully robs the bank, and his brother Lala (Shafi) takes the money to the city's dumping yard. However, the police catches Lala, who resists them, only to be killed by Ravi. Meanwhile, Bittu goes to the dumping yard to collect the money but is shocked as the dumping yard is burnt to ashes. Having his brother dead and the money burnt, Bittu decides to kill Ravi. Manikyam sends Ravi to Hyderabad from Visakhapatnam under the Witness Protection Program and makes him stay at his friend DIG Sitaram's (Rajendra Prasad) house. One day, Ravi happens to see Madhu (Ileana), a middle-class girl who works with travel agent Murthy (Brahmaji), an associate of Bittu. He prepares fake passports for Bittu's gang to help them escape from India. Ravi befriends Madhu, both fall in love with each other, and the two find out about Bittu. Eventually, a final showdown between Ravi and Bittu occurs wherein both intend to end the other. Ravi emerges victorious and exposes the stolen money. The movie concludes with Ravi realizing the importance of hard work over any apparent short-term routes to success. The movie ends with Ravi going to the job, which earns him ₹25000.
- Allu Arjun as Ravindra "Ravi" Narayan
- Ileana D'Cruz as Madhu, Ravi's love interest
- Sonu Sood as Bittu
- Rajendra Prasad as DIG Sitaram IPS (Ravi's friend and guru)
- Kota Srinivasa Rao as MLA Varadarajulu
- Tanikella Bharani as Narayana Moorti, Ravi's father
- Brahmanandam as Brahmam
- Rao Ramesh as ACP Raja Manikyam IPS
- Brahmaji as Travel Agent Murthy
- Shafi as Lala, Bittu's brother
- M. S. Narayana as Sub-Inspector Valmiki
- Dharmavarapu Subramanyam as Madhu's father
- Sheetal Menon as Devayani, Bittu's love interest
- Tulasi as Kameshwari
- Hema as Sujata
- Pragathi as Lalita
- Sreemukhi as Raji, Ravi's sister
- Ravi Prakash as Dhanushkoti, Bittu's henchman
- Pradeep Machiraju as Ravi's friend
- Saptagiri as Ravi's friend
- Amit Tiwari as Bittu's henchman
- Vamsi Krishna as Bittu's henchman
- Posani Krishna Murali as Club Owner
- Gautam Raju as Police Constable
- Sivannarayana as Tea Seller
- Kalpika as Neha
- Shravan as Sattaru
- Prabhu as Prabhu
- Udaya Bhanu in an item number
- Prakash Raj (voiceover)
- Ali (cameo appearance)
- Vennela Kishore (cameo appearance)
- Raghu Babu (cameo appearance)
- Raju Sundaram (cameo appearance)
- Ananth Babu (cameo appearance)
- Dhanraj (cameo appearance)
- Rajitha as Ravi's neighbour (cameo appearance)
- Sunny as Thief (cameo appearance)
- Venkata Giridhar Vajja (cameo appearance)
In 2010 after his film Khaleja was released, many reports suggested that Trivikram would work with Venkatesh for his next film. It was reported that the film would start filming in early 2011. But due to unknown reasons, the project failed to take off. In March 2011, reports suggested that Trivikram had approached Allu Arjun for a film and that Arjun has accepted the offer. Also it was reported that DVV Danayya would produce the film under his Universal Media banner. DVV Danayya previously made the successful film Desamuduru with Allu Arjun. It was also reported that Ileana was cast as the female lead and the filming would begin in May 2011. Although there were several reports on when the filming would begin, all proved untrue. In August 2011, it was reported that Allu Arjun has injured his shoulder and went to Australia for surgery on Trivikram's request. This caused the project to be further delayed. In September 2011, an official statement was released by the producers stating that as Allu Arjun was in Australia for shoulder surgery, the filming would start in late October 2011. It was also announced that the film is being produced by S. Radha Krishna under his Haarika & Hassine banner and with DVV Danayya presenting it. It was also announced that Devi Sri Prasad who had previously worked with both Arjun & Trivikram would score the music. It was reported that both Allu Arjun as well as Trivikram had slashed their remuneration for the film in a bid to bring the production cost down. Finally on 2 November 2011 after months of getting delayed the film was officially launched. It was announced that Ileana was cast as the female lead and the other cast and crew was also announced. On 14 November 2011 filming began in Hyderabad. Although there were many reports that the film was titled as Honey, the director dismissed the reports saying that no decision was taken. In March 2012, it was announced that the film was titled as Julai.
It was announced in September 2011 that Rajendra Prasad was cast for a vital role in the film. It was later reported that Rajendra Prasad would be playing the role of a cop in the film. at first Trivikram wanted to cast Sudeep as villain but due to Sudeep's busy schedule, Trivikram later cast Sonu Sood as the antagonist in the film. The other cast includes popular Telugu actors like Kota Srinivasa Rao, Brahmanandam, Tanikella Bharani, M. S. Narayana, Dharmavarapu Subramanyam, Brahmaji and Rao Ramesh. It was reported that Mahesh Babu would provide voice over for the film similar to Trivikram's Jalsa, but it proved to be untrue. It was reported that Udaya Bhanu would do an item number in the film
After months of delay, filming began in Hyderabad on 14 November 2011. Scenes between Brahmanandam and Ileana at a hospital in Kukatpally were canned during the first schedule of filming. The second schedule of filming began on 13 December 2011. Filming took place at Ramoji Film City and Sivarla in Hyderabad. In January 2012, action scenes in shivering cold weather were canned at RFC under the supervision of Peter Hein. In February 2012, bank robbery scenes were shot on Allu Arjun and Sonu Sood in Hyderabad. Also in February 2012, more action scenes on Allu Arjun were canned at Chennai Port under Peter Hein's supervision. In March 2012, filming took place in Visakhapatnam, Andhra pradesh. On 6 April 2012, it was reported that filming of the entire talkie part has been completed and four songs are yet to be canned. On 20 April 2012 it was reported by 123Telugu that the production unit would be travelling to Dubai on 26 April 2012 to film two songs on the lead pair and the remaining two songs would be shot in India. On 9 June 2012 fire broke out in a special Irani Hotel set, that was erected for the film in Ramoji Film City. Allu Arjun and Brahmaji suffered minor injuries in this accident.
|Territories and ancillary revenues||Price|
|AP Distribution rights (Siri Media)||₹230 million (US$3.2 million)|
|Satellite rights with a TV channel||₹57 million (US$800,000)|
|Overseas & home video rights with Ficus & Volga||₹35 million (US$490,000)|
|Music rights (Aditya Music)||₹7 million (US$98,000)|
|Karnataka rights with RNR Films||₹30 million (US$420,000)|
|Kerala distribution rights||₹12 million (US$170,000)|
|Total||₹350 million (US$4.9 million)|
- The figures don't include the Print and Advertising (P&A) costs.
In February 2012, it was announced that Telugu film director and producer Dasari Narayana Rao has bought the Andhra Pradesh distribution rights of the film for an amount of ₹230 million (US$3.2 million). It was also reported that Dasari Narayana Rao will release the film under his banner Siri Media. It was reported that it was the highest amount ever paid for an Allu Arjun starrer. It was reported in April 2012 that Ficus had acquired the overseas theatrical distribution rights of the film excluding Singapore and Malaysia. In July 2012, it was reported that the satellite rights were sold for ₹57.0 million (US$800,000) to MAA TV. Kerela distribution rights were sold for ₹12 million (US$170,000) which is a record in terms of Telugu and Tamil films.
The soundtrack of the film was composed by Devi Sri Prasad. The audio of the film was released on 6 July 2012 through Aditya Music label. Lyrics for three songs were written by Srimani, two songs by Ramajogayya Sastry and one song by the music director of the film, Devi Sri Prasad. The audio launch event of the film took place at the Hitex Exhibition center in Madhapur, Hyderabad on the same day. The audio was a huge success with receiving positive reception from critics and audience alike. Musicperk.com, a famous music site marked Julai as one of the top 10 albums in 2012 rating it 9/10.
The film was released worldwide on over 1600 screens on 23 July 2012. It is the biggest release of Allu Arjun's career The film has been awarded with 'U/A' certificate by the Central Board of Film Certification. Gajapokkiri, the Malayalam dubbed version of the film was released on 17 August 2012. The film was also dubbed and released in Hindi as Dangerous Khiladi in 2013.
Julayi received positive reviews from critics praising the performances of Allu Arjun and Sonu Sood . Riya Chakravarty from NDTV wrote, "Overall, the movie caters to all ages. Watch the movie for its witty dialogues and energetic performances.". Sangeetha Devi Dundoo from The Hindu described the film as "high on energy and wit" and commented that "Julayi has all the staple ingredients that characterise a Telugu masala entertainer" and concluded that "brain matches brawn in this masala entertainer". Shekhar from OneIndia Entertainment in a positive review concluded, "Watch Julayi for Allu Arjun's energetic performance, Devi Sri Prasad's music, Trivikram's witty dialogues, Sonu Sood's great action, Rajendra Prasad's performance and Ileana's glamour. It is a perfect mixture of performances. The film has everything for the audience of all class and age group." Akshath Anoop stated "Well, considering the fact that the film is one of the best I've seen, and it could have added more tricks of Allu Arjun's character's "Logic", The film is overall great. Arjun's and Sood's performance especially receives attention because to me, they have performed the best. Ileana d'cruz had also presented herself well but there were possibilities she could have improved. As I said, the film could have added more of the LOGIC theme because the whole character of Allu Arjun runs on it and so does the enjoyment of the audience. So don't have second thoughts before entering the theatre and just run in, 'cause what's waiting for you inside is something unbelievable" and gave it 4.5/5 stars.
Karthik Pasupulate from The Times of India gave the film three out of five stars and commented that "The movie has enough in it for Allu Arjun fans to dig into it, the others might not find it as amusing." Pavithra Srinivasan from Rediff criticised the film and felt it to be a "no brainer which loses steam because of the glaring lack of logic" and "gaping plot-holes". She lauded Allu Arjun for "carrying the film on his capable shoulders, hurling punches (both verbal and physical), bashing up goons and going gaga for his girl." CNN-IBN declared the film as "lackluster" and noted that the film was "more amusing than intelligent". It also felt that the film is "far from being either a romance or a laugh riot."
Julayi collected ₹85 million (US$1.2 million) nett at AP box office on its first day. Julayi collected ₹320 million (US$4.5 million) nett at AP box office on its first week. Julayi collected ₹75.4 million (US$1.1 million) nett share in rest of India and overseas on its first week.Julayi approximately collected ₹35 million (US$490,000) nett at Overseas in 8 Day extended first week. Stylish Star Allu Arjun's Julayi collected a Share of ₹430 million (US$6.0 million) (nett) in its first week itself worldwide with 95% occupancy breaking Gabbar Singh, Racha and Businessman Records by a marginal manner. The gross figure of the film will be over ₹600 million (US$8.4 million) in its first week.
Julayi opened very well overseas and collected more than $1 million. In USA alone, the film had collected more than $600,000 including premiere shows in its first weekend. Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama reported that Julayi has collected over $569,436 (Rs. 31.5 million) over the weekend in US with the per screen average for the film being around $12,379.
Julayi got Pre-release revenue's up to ₹350 million (US$4.9 million) making Table profits to the producer. Julayi was released in 1,600 theaters worldwide on 9 August 2012.
|Nandi Awards of 2012||Best Popular Feature Film||S. Radha Krishna||Won|
|Best Male Dubbing Artist||P. Ravi Shankar||Won|
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Film (Telugu)||S. Radha Krishna, D.V.V. Danayya||Nominated|
|Best Director (Telugu)||Trivikram Srinivas||Nominated|
|Best Actor (Telugu)||Allu Arjun||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor (Telugu)||Rajendra Prasad||Won|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role (Telugu)||Sonu Sood||Nominated|
|Best Comedian (Telugu)||Brahmanandam||Nominated|
|Best Music Director (Telugu)||Devi Sri Prasad||Nominated|
|Best Lyricist (Telugu)||Devi Sri Prasad - "O Madhu"||Nominated|
|Best Male Playback Singer (Telugu)||Adnan Sami - "O Madhu"||Nominated|
|Best Fight Choreographer||Peter Hein||Nominated|
|Best Dance Choreographer||Sekhar - "Julai"||Won|
- "Julayi". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Upadhyaya, Prakash (1 March 2017). "Nandi Awards 2012-2013: Here is the complete list of winners". International Business Times India. Archived from the original on 2 March 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Re – Shoots to Julaayi?". bharatone.com. Retrieved 16 July 2012.
- "Ileana-Venkatesh team up for Trivikram Srinivas' next". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Venki – Trivikram Film To Start From March 15th". cinecorn. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram's wedding gift to Allu Arjun". ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram Srinivas to direct Allu Arjun's next". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram to direct Allu Arjun's first film after marriage". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram's movie with Allu Arjun to hit floors in May". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun in Australia for shoulder surgery". One India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Trivikram – Allu Arjun film in September". idlebrain. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun, Trivikram's film Honey!". way2movies. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Udayabhanu to shake legs with Allu Arjun in Julayi Title Song". Timesofap.com. 19 July 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- "Allu Arjun – Trivikram 2nd schedule begins". 123 Telugu. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun's action scene in shivering cold weather". ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun in Bank robbery". MAA Stars. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun's action shooting at Chennai port". Ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Allu Arjun in Vizag". Times of India. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Julayi talkie part complete". 123telugu.com. 1 January 1998. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Bunny and Ileana to dance in Dubai". 123telugu.com. 1 January 1998. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Bunny escapes fire accident". Ifilmish.com. 10 June 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Dasari creates sensation by buying Allu Arjun's film for Rs 23 crs". Ragalahari. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "Dasari buys Allu Arjun – Trivikram film". Sify. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- "News : Ficus bags Allu Arjun – Trivikram's 'Julayi'". Telugucinema.com. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Julayi satellite rights sells for Rs. 5.70 cr". IBN LIVE. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Best of 2012-Telugu". Musicperk.com. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Kavirayani, Suresh. "Allu Arjun's Julayi gets a clean 'U/A' certificate". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Allu Arjun to compete with 6 Mallu superstars". idlebrain. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Allu Arjun's Julayi as Gaja pokkiri in Malayalam". Telugu.way2movies.com. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Chakravarty, Riya. "Movie review: Julayi". NDTV. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Devi Dundoo, Sangeetha. "Julayi – High on energy and wit". The Hindu. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Julayi – Movie Review: Allu Arjun rocks". OneIndia. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Pasupulate, Karthik (9 August 2012). "Julayi Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Review: Julayi lacks logic". Rediff. 13 August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Telugu Review: 'Julayi' is lacklustre". IBNLive. 10 August 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Allu Arjun's Julayi beats Gabbar Singh collection at Box Office". Entertainment.oneindia.in. 17 August 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- A S, Sashidhar (14 August 2012). "Allu Arjun's Julayi USA collections". The Times of India. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Bollywood Hungama – Julayi". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 16 August 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Julayi to join 100 crore club Allu Arjun is the 2nd best film to join and 2nd Mega hero to do so". idlebrain.com. Retrieved 25 August 2012.
- "Julayi crosses 50 days milestone". 123telugu.com. Retrieved 27 September 2012.