Tenuta in North Hollywood, California, in 2013
|Born||November 7, 1956|
Oak Park, Illinois, US
Tenuta gained notoriety as a wisecracking, accordion-wielding, self-proclaimed "Petite Flower and Love Goddess" during the mid 1980s. She has been featured in several productions of "Weird Al" Yankovic's, including The Weird Al Show as well as the music videos for "Headline News" and "White & Nerdy". She has also appeared on game shows such as Hollywood Squares, Street Smarts, and the 1998–1999 revival of Match Game. She did a series of TV ads for MTV and Diet Dr Pepper in the late 1980s, as well as her HBO, Showtime, and Lifetime specials that became popular and gained her a loyal following. She is also well known for her often quoted catch phrase "It could happen!"
Her use of voice in her act has lent itself to voice-over work in several animated programs. This includes doing the voice of Edna on Duckman, Munch Kelly on Cow and Chicken in the banned episode "Buffalo Gals", Black Widow on Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and as herself in Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist.
- 1986: Tenuta appeared on British TV comedy show Saturday Live.
- 1986–1990: She made several guest appearances on the show of her favorite comedian, Joan Rivers.
- 1987: She became nationally known in her first HBO special Women of the Night, costarring Ellen DeGeneres, Paula Poundstone, and Rita Rudner.
- 1988: She won Best Female Stand-Up Comic at The American Comedy Awards
- 1987–1988: She toured across the country with another of her favorite comedians, comedy legend George Carlin.
- 1988–1995: Frequent guest on morning radio show "Howard Stern"
- 1988: She became the "Spokes-Goddess" for a series of "Diet Dr. Pepper" commercials, and also filmed her second HBO special.
- 1991: She published her first book, The Power of Judyism, following up with an audio CD version in 1999.
- 1994: She was nominated for her first Grammy, for her comedy CD Attention Butt Pirates and Lesbetarians.
- 1995: Tenuta was nominated for her second Grammy, for her comedy CD In Goddess We Trust.
- 1996: Tenuta appeared as a drill sergeant, Sam Rottweiler, training gay men to defend themselves against bullies in the film Butch Camp.
- 1998: She conceived, produced, and starred in the film Desperation Boulevard, which was directed and written by Greg Glienna of Meet the Parents fame.
- 2001: Tenuta appeared on The View, dishing with Joy Behar, Star Jones, and Barbara Walters.
- 2005: Tenuta appeared in 2005 film Flirting with Anthony, as Jayleen the Motel Lady.
- 2007: She made a guest appearance as Mrs. Holler, the librarian, on Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide. She also had a pivotal role as "Margo the Cat Lady" in the Hilary Duff film Material Girls.
- 2011: She played Zinnia, a menacing, aging actress, in the independent film Going Down in LA-LA Land, and the Mother Nun in the independent horror comedy Sister Mary. She would go on to be nominated for Best Actress at the 2012 Laugh or Die Comedy Fest for her performance.
Tenuta's act is primarily structured around an exaggerated, offbeat persona that is referred to primarily as "The Love Goddess". Other monikers include "The Petite Flower", "Aphrodite of the Accordion", "Fashion-Plate Saint", "Queen of Candy-Pants", "Princess of Panty Shields", and "Empress of Elvis Impersonators". Tenuta's persona encourages fans to convert to her own personal religion, "Judyism".
- Buy This, Pigs! (Elektra Records) 1987
- In Goddess We Trust, 1995
- UnButtPlugged, 1999
- Attention, Butt Pirates And Lesbetarians - Live at CSW, 1999
- A Space Goddessy, 2002
- The Best of Judy Tenuta: Buy This Again, Pigs!, 2008
- "Night Flight's 6th Anniversary Special was hosted by "Love Goddess" Judy Tenuta, Aphrodite of the Accordion". Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- "21 Powerful Facts About Judy Tenuta | Fan World". FanWorld.co. 2016-03-17. Retrieved 2019-09-03.
- La Monica, Paul R. (July 15, 2016). "Dow 20,000? Don't laugh. Bulls are alive and well". CNN. Retrieved July 17, 2016.
To quote 1980s standup comedian Judy Tenuta, 'It could happen!'
- "Cow and Chicken" Buffalo Gals/Cow and Chicken Reclining (TV Episode 1998) - IMDb, retrieved 2020-07-19
- Space Ghost Coast to Coast on TV.com
- Judy Tenuta - The Joan Rivers Show (1990), retrieved 2019-09-03
- 1987 Judy Tenuta : Stand Up Comedy "Women Of The Night" Special, retrieved 2019-09-03
- George Carlin presents Judy Tenuta American Comedy Award, retrieved 2019-09-03
- Flirting with Anthony (2005), retrieved 2019-09-03
- Judy Tenuta's comedy relates to discrimination by Joshua Rotter
- Judytenuta.com, Retrieved December 19, 2013.