|22nd Commissioner of New Jersey Department of Health|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Shereef Elnahal|
|Born||March 4, 1949|
New Brunswick, New Jersey, U.S.
|Education||St. Francis Hospital School of Nursing|
Judith Persichilli, R.N., B.S.N., M.A. (born March 4, 1949) an American nurse and health care executive, is the acting (22nd) Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Health for the State of New Jersey. Prior to her nomination she was interim president/CEO of University Hospital in Newark.
Persichilli received her nursing diploma from the St. Francis Hospital School of Nursing in 1968. She gradated from Rutgers University in 1976 with a bachelor of science in nursing, summa cum laude. She attained a master of arts in administration, summa cum laude, from Rider College in 1980.
She also received an honorary doctor of health degree from Georgian Court University in 2009. In May, she was awarded an honorary doctor of humane letters from Sacred Heart University (Fairfield, Connecticut).
Health care executive
Persichilli served as Chief Executive Officer and President of Catholic Health East. Judy also served as Interim Chief Executive Officer of CHE Trinity Health until November 18, 2013. She served as Executive Vice President and of Acute Care at Catholic Health East. Persichilli served as the President of St Francis Medical Center in Trenton for eight years. She served as Executive Vice President, Northeast Division of Catholic Health East.
Awards, positions, and titles
Persichilli is one of the founding members of the New Jersey Health Care Quality Institute. She is Director Emeritus of Hopewell Valley Community Bank. She serves as Trustee of Rider University.
Persichilli was inducted into the New Jersey State Nurses Association Hall of Honor in 2006 In September, 2008, she received the Catholic Charities, Richard J. Hughes Humanitarian Award, Diocese of Trenton’s highest honor. She was named as one of the 50 most powerful people in New Jersey health care by NJBiz in March 2011. In May, 2011, she received the Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Award for Outstanding Medical Executive.
Governor of New Jersey Phil Murphy appointed Persichilli to direct the University Hospital in Newark in December 2018. In June 2019, he announced that she will join the cabinet of the Murphy administration as Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Health in July 2019.
Perschilli is seeking to expand gun violence treatment programs.
- "Bishop O'Connell to present papal honors during Sept. 8 prayer service - The Monitor". trentonmonitor.com.
- Livio, Susan K. (June 24, 2019). "Nurse who exposed problems at state's only public hospital will be N.J.'s next top health official, sources say". nj.com.
- Arco, Matt (June 25, 2019). "Murphy makes it official on N.J. health commissioner. She'll be the first former nurse hold the post". nj.com.
- "Gov Taps Respected Nurse and Hospital Exec to Lead Health Department - NJ Spotlight". www.njspotlight.com.
- "Governor Appoints Monitor for Newark's Troubled University Hospital - NJ Spotlight". www.njspotlight.com.
- Burling, Stacey. "Catholic Health East names a new leader".
- Mease, Alyssa (August 17, 2013). "Pennington mayor to be honored by Catholic Charities". nj.com.
- "Murphy taps Judith Persichilli to be next health commissioner". June 25, 2019.
- December 13, 2018 University Hospital Board of Directors Appoints Judith M. Persichilli as Acting President & CEO
- Johnson, Brent (2019-08-05). "N.J. just did this to combat gun violence, days after string of mass shootings". nj.com. Retrieved 2019-08-21.