This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Juan Carlos Girauta
|Member of the European Parliament|
1 July 2014 – 11 January 2016
|Succeeded by||Carolina Punset|
|Born||12 March 1961 (age 58)|
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
|Socialists' Party of Catalonia |
People's Party (Spain)
|Occupation||Politician, opinion writer|
Juan Carlos Girauta (born 12 March 1961) is a Spanish politician serving as Member of the Congress of Deputies since 2016 and chair of the Committee on Defence since 2019. Previously, he has served as Member of the European Parliament from 2014 to 2016, representing Spain for the Citizens political party.
A former PSC member, Girauta later joined the PP and became a prolific contributor to conservative journalism from his Libertad Digital column, before becoming a Citizens member and candidate in the 2014 European election. For years he lent support to the conspiracy theory about the authorship of the 11-M Madrid train bombings in 2004.
During his long tenure as Libertad Digital columnist and COPE debater, Girauta expressed strong sympathies for right-wing Zionism (to the point of calling then-president Zapatero an anti-Semite) and lent credibility  to the now discredited book by Victor Farías  dismissing Socialist politician Salvador Allende as a racist and a Social Darwinist, without clarifying that the quotations about genetic determinism in Allende's doctoral dissertation were themselves quotations from other authors (mostly Cesare Lombroso) or the fact that Allende was highly critical of these conclusions in his thesis, which was later published  as a rebuttal to Farías' position. Farías was later sued for this but Girauta never retracted his statements.
He has been described as representative of the hardline right-wing faction in Cs.
- Member, Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (2014–2016)
- Member, Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly
- Chair of the Committee on Defence (2019–)
- EFE, Agencia (2019-07-30). "Girauta, nuevo presidente de la Comisión de Defensa". COPE (in Spanish). Retrieved 2019-07-30.
- "Juan Carlos GIRAUTA VIDAL". europarl.europa.eu. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "Untitled Document". elmundo.es. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Juan Carlos Girauta se explica" (in Spanish).
- abc. "Nart, Girauta y Punset, candidatos de Ciudadanos a las elecciones europeas". ABC.es (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- Ibáñez, María José (15 December 2015). "Girauta y la teoría de la conspiración". El Periódico.
- Juan Carlos Girauta (21 July 2006). "El presidente y el gobierno, antisemitas" (in Spanish).
- Juan Carlos Girauta (26 May 2005). "¿Quién era realmente Salvador Allende? (I)" (in Spanish).
- Juan Carlos Girauta (3 May 2005). "¿Quién era realmente Salvador Allende? (y II)" (in Spanish).
- Julio Silva Solar (30 January 2007). "Victor Farías y su fobia contra Salvador Allende" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 6 October 2016.
- "Salvador Allende: Higiene Mental y Delincuencia" (PDF) (in Spanish).
- "Extracts from the suit filed by the Fundación Salvador Allende" (PDF) (in Spanish).
- Dudda, Ricardo (1 April 2019). "Bestiario electoral". Letras Libres.