Ostrander in 2016
|Birth name||Joshua Keith Ostrander|
|Also known as||Mondo Cozmo|
|Origin||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
Joshua Keith Ostrander (born April 8), also known as Mondo Cozmo, is an American singer-songwriter and producer from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He is now based in Los Angeles, California. His solo music is folk rock, indie rock and alternative rock.
Biography and career
Ostrander fronted the alt-rock band Laguardia from 2000 to 2005. It included Joshua Ostrander, Greg Lyons, Lee Bernstein and Michael Morpurgo and was signed to Universal Records and Republic Records released the album Welcome to the Middle in 2003 with "Holy Ghost" from the album released as a single. Laguardia Ostrander's band should not be confused with the famous Spanish Pop rock band La Guardia active 1983–1997 and relaunched in 2003.
Eastern Conference Champions (2005-2015)
Ostrander later became the front man of Eastern Conference Champions (ECC), whom he started with his friend and collaborator Greg Lyons from Laguardia and Vern Zaborowski from CKY. The band also included Melissa Dougherty. The band came about when Ostrander and Lyons signed with Geffen Records and released the EP called The Southampton Collection under the ECC moniker. Three studio albums followed: Ameritown in 2007, Santa Fe in 2009 and SPEAK-AHH in 2010, and a number of EPs as Eastern Conference Champions. ECC disbanded in August 2015.
Along with producing their own releases, Ostrander produced for such bands as Voxhaul Broadcast and worked on projects with such producers as Brendan O'Brien, Owen Morris, Brad Wood, Thom Panunzio, Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Ostrander works out of his downtown LA studio called Santa Fe Studios.
Mondo Cozmo (2015–present)
Ostrander began recording under the name Mondo Cozmo in 2016, and his single "Shine" hit #1 on Billboard's Adult Alternative Songs chart in January 2017. His name comes from a combination of his dog's name, Cozmo, and the 1969 John Waters comedy "Mondo Trasho." His debut album "Plastic Soul" was released on August 4, 2017.
Ostrander's debut headlining tour as Mondo Cozmo began on July 12, 2017 at the Exit/In in Nashville, Tennessee. The tour ran nineteen shows and concluded on October 28, 2017. The touring band was composed of Drew "The Kid" Beck on electric guitar, Chris Null on acoustic guitar and bass, James Gordon on synth and keys, and Andrew Tolman on drums. Mondo Cozmo continues to tour and is planned to open for Vance Joy in summer 2018.
- in Laguardia
- 2004: Welcome to the Middle, Universal Republic - Singer/Songwriter Co-Production
- in With Eastern Conference Champions
- 2005: The Southampton Collection, Geffen Records - Singer/Songwriter-Producer
- 2007: Ameritown, Interscope Records - Singer/Songwriter - Co-Production
- 2009: Santa Fe, RockHampton Records - Singer/Songwriter- Production
- 2010: SPEAK-AHH, RockHampton Records - Singer/Songwriter - Production
- as Producer
- 2009: "Blaggers and Liars", KAV - 2009 - Producer/Engineer/Mixer
- 2009: "Fact, Fiction and Turquoise", Voxhaul Broadcast - Producer/Engineer/Mixer
- 2009: "Mios", Corband - Producer/Engineer/Mixer
- 2009: "Untitled", Two Years Before The Mast - Producer/Engineer/Mixer
- 2009: "Lay Alone" single, The Brothers Movement - Mixer
- 2010: "Untitled", KAV - 2010 - Producer/Engineer/Mixer
- 2017: "Plastic Soul", Republic Records- Producer
- As Mondo Cozmo
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Hold On to Me"||2016||—||—||—||—||—||Plastic Soul|
|"Tonight Tonight"||2018||—||28||—||—||—||Your Motherfucker EP|
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- Crespo, Everynight Charley (February 22, 2017). "Everynight Charley's Manhattan Beat: Greensky Bluegrass, Mondo Cozmo, Andrew Bird, and more". The Aquarian. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "ASCAP Ace Search - Joshua Keith Ostrander". American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP). Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "ECC on Twitter". Eastern Conference Champions. April 8, 2015. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- "ECC on Facebook". Eastern Conference Champions. August 25, 2015. Retrieved March 4, 2017.
- Mondo Cozmo's 'Shine' Crowns Adult Alternative Songs. Billboard, January 20, 2017.
- Celine Teo-Blockey (2017-04-20). "Interview: Mondo Cozmo's Josh Ostrander on getting 'Higher,' Anna Faris and old band, ECC".
- Trina N. Green (2017-03-22). "The Soul Shine of Mondo Cozmo @ SXSW".
- "Mondo Cozmo - Chart History - Alternative Songs". Billboard. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "Mondo Cozmo - Chart History - Adult Alternative Songs". Billboard. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- "Mondo Cozmo - Chart History - Hot Rock Songs". Billboard. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Mondo Cozmo - Chart History - Rock Airplay". Billboard. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Mondo Cozmo – Chart History: Canada Rock". billboard.com. Retrieved 13 August 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Josh Ostrander.|