This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gates on location in Cambodia, 2013
August 10, 1977
|Alma mater||Tufts University|
|Occupation||Explorer, archaeologist Television Presenter, Television Producer of Destination Truth and host of show Expedition Unknown|
Josh Gates (born August 10, 1977) is an American television presenter, television producer and author. He was the host and co-executive producer of Destination Truth and Stranded on Syfy, and currently hosts and co-executive produces The Discovery Channel (and former Travel Channel) series Expedition Unknown and also Legendary Locations. He is also known as the host of multiple live specials for, and a guest investigator on, the television series Ghost Hunters and its spin-off Ghost Hunters International. He produces the related Ghost Nation series along with other paranormal television shows through his production company Ping Pong Productions.
From 2007 to 2012, Gates was the host of Destination Truth on the Syfy Channel. The series premiered its second season with its best-ever telecast, delivering 1.7 million total viewers and making the show the highest-rated second season performance by a reality series on Syfy. The series ended after its fifth season.
In 2008, Josh Gates traveled to Walt Disney World in Florida to meet with Joe Rohde, Executive Designer of Walt Disney Imagineering. Gates presented Rohde with a cast of the "Yeti" footprint found during a Destination Truth episode. The cast is on display at Expedition Everest, a Himalayan-themed, high-speed, coaster-like attraction where guests come face-to-face with a Yeti.
As of May 2017, episodes of Destination Truth were being aired on Travel Channel.
Gates hosted eight live specials for the television series Ghost Hunters and its spin-off Ghost Hunters International (1 episode). He also acted as a guest investigator on four episodes. He produces the related Ghost Nation series featuring former Ghost Hunters members Jason Hawes, Steve Gonsalves, and Dave Tango.
He returned as the host of Ghost Hunters Live in 2008, where he helmed the live seven-hour broadcast from Ft. Delaware, a civil war POW camp in Delaware Bay. Both seasons garnered high ratings and 2008's show made Syfy the #1 cable network in prime-time on Halloween night. Gates also returned as host of the Ghost Hunters Live Halloween specials in 2009, 2010 and 2011.
Gates hosted two round-table interviews with Ghost Hunters in 2007 ("Revelations") and 2008 ("All Access".) Gates returned as guest investigator on a 2009 episode wherein Essex County Penitentiary was investigated, a 2011 episode wherein Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum was investigated, a 2012 episode wherein Hammond Castle was investigated, and a 2013 episode wherein Mission San Juan Capistrano was investigated.
Gates is currently the host and executive producer of Expedition Unknown on Discovery Channel after having moved from Travel Channel, which premiered in January of 2015 and is in its fifth season as of June 2018.
In May 2012, Josh was in 2 episodes of Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files where he investigated paranormal activity.
Gates was the creator, executive producer, and narrator of Stranded, a paranormal reality television series that premiered on the SyFy channel in February 2013. Gates produced the show in cooperation with Jason Blum of Blumhouse Productions.
Since relocating to Los Angeles, Gates has appeared in a number of television advertisements. He appeared in a national commercial for BMW as part of a campaign launched by Publicis New York and BMW USA. Gates has also appeared in commercials for EA Sports video games and Stanley Tools.
Gates also works as a voice-over artist and can be heard as the narrator of Time Warner's audio-book of A Brother's Journey, a memoir by Richard B. Pelzer. Gates' narration was awarded the Earphones Award by Audiofile Magazine which celebrates exceptional audio presentations that excel in narrative voice and style, vocal characterizations, appropriateness for the audio format and enhancement of the text.
- Official website
- "Josh Gates presents Yeti footprint to Joe Rohde". Apr 23, 2008. Archived from the original on 20 September 2012. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "'Josh Gates' Destination Truth' is Coming to Travel Channel". Travel Channel.
- "Ratings - Sci Fi's Ghost Hunters Live Halloween Special Knocks 'Em Dead as #1 Cable Program of the Day and #1 Cable Channel for the Night | TheFutonCritic.com". www.thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- Futon Critic News on Ghost Hunters Live
- "Ratings - Ghost Hunters Scares Off the Competition with All-Time Ratings Highs! | TheFutonCritic.com". thefutoncritic.com. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Ghost Hunters Summons More Than 2.4 MIllion Viewers During Live Season Six Premiere". TV By The Numbers. 4 March 2010. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Syfy ratings for Warehouse 13, Eureka and Ghost Hunters for the week ending September 13". TV By The Numbers. 15 September 2009.
- "Travel Channel Launches Series 'Expedition Unknown' - Multichannel". Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- "Beg, Borrow, & Deal". www.espn.com. Retrieved 2017-06-25.
- "Reality Show Spoof / Comedy: Truly Famous". www.bud.tv. Archived from the original on June 16, 2007. Retrieved 9 June 2016.
- Official website bio