Josef Kalasanz Freiherr von Erberg (Slovene: Jožef Kalasanc baron Erberg or Josip Kalasanc baron Erberg) (27 August 1771 – 10 July 1843) was a Carniolan botanist, cultural historian, collector, and patron of the arts.
Von Erberg was born in Ljubljana. After graduating from mathematics, logics, philosophy, and administrative law, he was at first a board councillor at the Carniolan Provincial Estates. In 1794, he married Josephine, Gräfin von Attems. They had seven children. In 1804, he became a chamberlain at the Austrian Court, and was from 1809 until 1814 the educator of the young Ferdinand I of Austria. In 1815, von Erberg moved to Dol pri Ljubljani, where he intensively collected books and numerous other cultural and natural objects from Carniola and also created a garden with over 7000 plants. He was a friend of Sigmund Zois and also corresponded with other Carniolan scientists and artists. Until the end of his life, he only rarely left Dol. In 1832, he hired Franz Franz, an officer, to inform him about events in Vienna and in Ljubljana. In the following eight years, Franz sent him about 1800 letters, which have been preserved until today and give an insight in the history of Ljubljana before the 1848 revolutions.
In 1825, von Erberg wrote the Attempt at a Sketch of the Literary History of Carniola (German: Versuch eines Entwurfes zu einer Literar-Geschichte für Crain), which he intended for his personal use. It consists of twelve questions about the literary history of his homeland and extensive answers to them. Even today, it represents a source of information about the older Slovenian literary history.
- Juričić Čargo, Danijela. "Arhivalija meseca (julij 2011)" [Archivalia of the Month (July 2011)] (in Slovenian). Archives of the Republic of Slovenia, Ministry of Culture, Republic of Slovenia. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Grafenauer, Bogo (1925–1991 (printed ed.). 2009 (electronic ed.)). "Erberg Jožef Kalasanc baron" [Erberg Joseph Kalasanz baron]. In Vide Ogrin, Petra (electronic ed.). Cankar, Izidor et al. (printed ed.) (eds.). Slovenski biografski leksikon [Slovene Biographical Lexicon] (in Slovenian). ISBN 978-961-268-001-5. Check date values in:
|year=(help)CS1 maint: Uses editors parameter (link)
- Klasinc Škofljanec, Andreja. "Archivalia of the Month (May 2012)". Archives of the Republic of Slovenia, Ministry of Culture, Republic of Slovenia. Retrieved 11 May 2012.
- Kalasanz von Erberg, Josef; Uršič, Milena (1975). Jožef Kalasanc Erberg in njegov poskus osnutka za literarno zgodovino [Joseph Kalasanc Erberg and his Attempt of a Sketch of the Literary History of Carniolia]. Ljubljana: Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts. COBISS 1762817.
- Media related to Josef Kalasanz von Erberg at Wikimedia Commons