|Jonesboro High School|
7728 Mt. Zion Boulevard
|School district||Clayton County Public Schools|
|Teaching staff||72.00 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||18.65|
|Color(s)||Red, white, and black|
|Website||Jonesboro High School|
Jonesboro High School is a four-year public high school located in Jonesboro, Georgia, United States. The school is part of the Clayton County School District, and is located at 7728 Mt. Zion Boulevard.
The school's teams are known as the Cardinals, and the school colors are red, white, and black. U.S. News & World Report selected Jonesboro as one of the top 100 schools in the United States in its December 1998 issue. The school has produced several notable alumni.
Established as a public high school on September 21, 1891, Jonesboro High School was originally located on College Street. The school was moved to Spring Street during the Christmas break of 1917 and moved again to its present location on the corner of Mt. Zion Boulevard in the fall of 1963.
The library originally started out in what is now the ROTC room and was moved into its own building in 1968. In 1975 the vocational building was completed, giving JHS the chance to expand it faculty to include assistant principals, counselors, and vocational teachers. A technology lab was added in the 1994–95 school year.
Jonesboro High School underwent construction starting the 2006–07 school year for the addition of a freshman wing. The wing was complete for use in the 2007-2008 school year, and opened in February 2008. This addition cost the county a total of $4,025,593. The school is getting an auxiliary gymnasium. The work begin on June 15, 2010 and the date of opening is unknown. The addition of this new building is costing the county an estimated $2,250,000.
Awards and recognition
- Harry Douglas, NFL wide receiver for the Tennessee Titans
- Toney Douglas, Turkish Basketball Super League point guard for the Anadolu Efes
- Steve Lundquist, swimmer; won two Olympic gold medals at the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, California (1979)
- Jason Perry, former MLB outfielder
- Cameron Sutton, NFL cornerback for the Pittsburgh Steelers
- M. J. Walker, currently plays for Florida State Seminoles men's basketball.
- Jonesboro High School
- "History". Jonesboro High School website. Archived from the original on 8 May 2011. Retrieved 22 September 2011.
- "Your Tax Dollars at Work". SPLOST. Archived from the original on 19 November 2011. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Participant History & Past National Winners, National High School Mock Trial Championship. Accessed July 1, 2007.
- Jason Perry
- "SEC, NFL fans react: Jonesboro High's Cameron Sutton drafted by Steelers". AJC.com. Retrieved December 30, 2017.