He held the following church preferments:
- Rector of Shelley, Essex (1621)
- Rector of St Faith's, London (1628)
- Rector of Hertingfordbury, Hertfordshire (1630)
- President of Sion College (1636–1637)
- Canon of Hereford Cathedral (1636)
- Dean of Hereford (1636–1643)
- Canon of Westminster Abbey (1639–1643)
On 20 January 1631, Browne married Anne Lovelace née Barne, daughter of Sir William Barne, widow of Sir William Lovelace, mother by her first marriage of Richard Lovelace the poet and Francis Lovelace, colonial Governor of New York.
- Horn, Joyce M. (ed.). "Deans of Hereford". Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857. 13.
- Foster, Joseph (1891). Alumni Oxonienses: Browne, Jonathan. p. 195. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- Pearce, Ernest Harold (1913). Sion College and Library. CUP Archive. p. 343. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- Horn, Joyce M. (ed.). Fasti Ecclesiae Anglicanae 1541–1857. 7. pp. 77–78. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- Havergal, Francis T. (1869). Antiquarian Memorials of Hereford. Fasti Herefordenses. p. 40. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- Oxford Wills; Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1645
- Dorman, John Frederick, ed. (2005). Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607–1624/5. 2 (4th ed.). p. 472. ISBN 9780806317632. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
- "Croft, Sir Herbert, 1st Bt". The History of Parliament. Retrieved 6 October 2019.
|This article about a Church of England dean is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|Church of England titles|
| Dean of Hereford