|Occupation||Dean of Students|
John Stein is the Dean of Students and Vice President for Student Life at the Georgia Institute of Technology, a position he has held since August 2015. Stein has been Dean of Students since 2006.
Stein went to Nazareth Regional High School in Brooklyn, New York and graduated in 1975. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology in 1979 from State University of New York at Oneonta and a Master of Science in Counseling and Student Personnel Administration in 1982 from Long Island University. He later received a Master of Science in Educational psychology from the State University of New York at Albany in 1997.
After receiving his degree in educational psychology from SUNY, he became a Dean of Students at Sarah Lawrence College in Westchester County, New York from 1997 to 2000, at subsequently at Manhattanville College in Purchase, New York from 2000 to 2002.
In August 2002, Stein became Director of Success Programs at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia and was subsequently promoted to his current position of Dean of Students in March 2006 after serving as interim Dean of Students for six months before being named Assistant Vice President/Dean of Students. Stein was promoted to Vice President/Dean of Students in August 2015. 
While Dean at Georgia Tech, he was accused of a lack of due process by students. This resulted in lawsuits that resulted in students who were accused of sexual misconduct being reinstated and winning settlements. Students also complained about the lack of funding for counseling services. 
- "Main Office Staff". Georgia Tech Office of the Dean of Students. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- Fortin, Judy (2008-02-04). "Hovering parents need to step back at college time". CNN. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "People to know". The Technique. 2009-08-14. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- "New dean of students named". The Whistle. Georgia Institute of Technology. 2006-10-30. Retrieved 2010-04-01.
- "John Stein Named Dean of Students". Georgia Institute of Technology. 2006-11-01. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "Lawmakers grill Tech leaders on student hearings, punishment". The AJC. [The Atlanta Journal-Constitution]]. 2016-01-25. Retrieved 2016-01-25.
- "Georgia Tech settles two lawsuits involving sexual assaults". The AJC. [The Atlanta Journal-Constitution]]. 2016-07-25. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- Stirgus, Eric. "Tech death puts spotlight on campus mental health services". ajc. Retrieved 2017-09-24.
- "Action Team Recommendations Under Review". gatech.edu. Retrieved 2017-11-10.