|Bishop in Europe|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese in Europe|
|Predecessor||Himself (as Bishop of Fulham and Gibraltar)|
|Other posts||Bishop of Fulham and Gibraltar|
|Born||17 November 1925|
|Died||23 May 2014(aged 88)|
|Alma mater||University of Leeds|
John Richard Satterthwaite (17 November 1925 – 23 May 2014) was Bishop of Gibraltar and at the same time Bishop of Fulham (the suffragan bishop charged by the Bishop of London with the oversight of Anglican congregations in North and Central Europe), during which appointments he was called "Bishop of Fulham and Gibraltar". In 1980, when the new Diocese in Europe was created from the union of those two jurisdictions, he became Bishop in Europe ("Bishop of Gibraltar in Europe" in full) for the last third of the 20th century.
Satterthwaite was educated at the University of Leeds and the College of the Resurrection, Mirfield. He was deaconed at Michaelmas 1950 (1 October) at St George's Church, Barrow-in-Furness and priested the following Michaelmas (23 September 1951) at Carlisle Cathedral — both times by Thomas Bloomer, Bishop of Carlisle. He began his ordained ministry with curacies at St Barnabas's Carlisle and St Michael Paternoster Royal in the City of London, after which he was Vicar of St Dunstan-in-the-West before being ordained to the episcopate. He was consecrated a bishop on 28 October 1970, by Michael Ramsey, Archbishop of Canterbury (with ecumenical assistance), at Westminster Abbey; and died on 23 May 2014.
- "Satterthwaite, John Richard". Who's Who (1 December 2016 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 9 October 2019. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Bishops of Gibraltar Archived 2011-07-11 at the Wayback Machine
- "Ordinations at Michaelmas". Church Times (#4574). 6 October 1950. p. 742. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 9 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- "Michaelmas ordinations". Church Times (#4625). 28 September 1951. p. 663. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 9 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- Debrett's People of Today 1992 (London, Debrett's) ISBN 1-870520-09-2)
- "Foreign aid at Abbey ceremony". Church Times (#5620). 30 October 1970. p. 20. ISSN 0009-658X. Retrieved 9 October 2019 – via UK Press Online archives.
- BISHOP JOHN SATTERTHWAITE R.I.P (Archived)
|This article about a Church of England bishop is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article relating to Gibraltar is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|