|Duke of Brabant|
Duke of Lothier
Duke of Limburg
|Born||27 September 1275|
|Died||27 October 1312|
|Noble family||House of Reginar|
|Spouse(s)||Margaret of England|
|Father||John I, Duke of Brabant|
|Mother||Margaret of Flanders|
John II succeeded his father in 1294 During the reign of John II, Brabant continued supporting a coalition to stop French expansion. He tried to conquer South Holland (district of medieval Holland) from the pro-French count John II of Holland, but was not successful.
John, who suffered from kidney stones and wanted his duchy to be peacefully handed over to his son upon his death, in 1312 signed the famous Charter of Kortenberg. John died in Tervuren in 1312. He was buried in the St. Michael and Gudula Cathedral in Brussels.
On July 8, 1290, John married Margaret of England in Westminster Abbey, London. She was a daughter of King Edward I of England and his first wife, Eleanor of Castile. Only one child was born out of this marriage:
John II had several illegitimate children:
- Jan van Corsselaer, was later named Lord of Witthem, Wailwilre, Machelen, la Rochette and Colonster.
- Jan van Wyvliet. Lord of Blaesveld and Kuyc. Married to Margaret Pipenpoy.
- Jan Cordeken: Founder of the House of Glymes. He was legitimized by the emperor Louis IV by charter dated of 27 August 1344, lists John II as the father and Elisabeth Gortygin as his mother.
- Jan Magermann. Married to Adelise d'Elsies.
- Balduini Ninovensis Chronicon 1294, MGH SS XXV, p. 546.
- Gábor Bradács, "Crusade of the Poor (1309)", in Jeffrey M. Shaw and Timothy J. Demy (eds.), War and Religion: An Encyclopedia of Faith and Conflict, 3 vols. (ABC-CLIO, 2017), vol. 1, pp. 211–12.
- Oude Kronik van Brabant, p. 72.
- Oude Kronik van Brabant, p. 71.
- Annales Halesiensibus 1290, MHG SS XVI, p. 483.
- Florentii Wigornensis Monachi Chronicon, Continuatio, p. 243.
- Stubbs, W. (ed.) (1882) Annales Londonienses and Annales Paulini (London), Annales Londonienses, p. 98.
- Genealogia Ducum Brabantiæ Ampliata 14, MGH SS XXV, p. 397.
- Butkens (1724), Vol. I, Preuves, p. 145, "Extraict des registres de la ville de Malines".
- Butkens (1724), Vol. I, Preuves, p. 144, "Extraict des registres de la ville de Malines".
- Butkens (1724), Vol. I, Preuves, p. 146, "Extraicts des chartes de la maison de Berges sur Soom".
| Duke of Brabant, Lothier, and Limburg