This article needs to be updated.October 2016)(
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, cinematographer|
John Hyams is an American screenwriter, director and cinematographer, best known for his involvement in the Universal Soldier series, for which he has directed two installments. Hyams is the son of director Peter Hyams.
Hyams graduated from Syracuse University School of Visual and Performing Arts, becoming a noted painter and sculptor exhibiting and selling work in New York and Los Angeles. He became known in Hollywood in 1997 after writing, producing, and directing the critically acclaimed One Dog Day. The film debuted at the Taos Talking Picture Film Festival. After that, Hyams directed several documentaries, most notably The Smashing Machine, which follows the life of fighter Mark Kerr. Hyams also directed several episodes of ABC Television's NYPD Blue.
In 2009, Hyams took over the Universal Soldier franchise, directing the film Regeneration, with Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dolph Lundgren, which was shot mostly in Bulgaria on a budget of $9 million. Then, in 2012, he wrote and produced a sequel called Day of Reckoning, which also featured Van Damme and Lundgren. It was shot in 3D with a budget of $8 million.
- One Dog Day (1997)
- Universal Soldier: Regeneration (2009)
- Dragon Eyes (2012)
- Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning (2012)
- All Square (2018)
Shorts and documentaries
- The Smashing Machine: The Life and Times of Extreme Fighter Mark Kerr (2002, documentary)
- Fight Day (2003, documentary short)
- Rank (2006, documentary)
- The Razzle Dazzle (2009, short film)
- NYPD Blue (2003–2005, 4 episodes)
- Blind Justice (2005, 1 episode)
- Z Nation (2014-2015, 9 episodes)
- The Originals (2016, 2 episodes)
- Chicago Fire (2017, 1 episode)
- Chicago P.D. (2017-2019, 4 episodes)
- Legacies (2019, 1 episode)
- Black Summer (2019, 5 episodes)
- "John Hyams". imdb. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Daniels, Hunter. "Director John Hyams Talks UNIVERSAL SOLDIER: DAY OF RECKONING, Plus the Top 11 Things to Know About Hyams and His Film". collider.com. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Antosca, Nick. "Masterpiece Theatre: Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning". Paris Review. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Mack, Andrew (September 25, 2015). "EXCLUSIVE: UNISOL's John Hyams To Helm The Refn Produced MANIAC COP Remake".