This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (January 2013)
John Michael Hammond
9 April 1966
|Alma mater||University of Birmingham|
University of Salford
John Michael Hammond (born 9 April 1966) is a meteorologist and an English weather forecaster for the BBC. For a long time[clarification needed] he could be seen presenting weather forecasts on the BBC News channel, BBC Red Button and BBC World News. He was the main weather presenter on BBC News at One and also on the BBC News at Ten, Countryfile and BBC News at Six. At the weekend he also presents the weather on BBC Radio 5 Live. He is currently[when?] presenting for the BBC in Birmingham, including the regional news programme Midlands Today.
Early life and education
Hammond was born in Bosham, West Sussex, the son of a farmer. After taking an interest in the weather from the age of four, he studied geography at the University of Salford, followed by meteorology at the University of Birmingham.
After a brief spell at the Met Office headquarters in Bracknell, Berkshire, Hammond started forecasting in February 1991, working at regional weather centres in Nottingham, Bristol and Plymouth. This involved a variety of forecasting work for aviation, local industry, and some local radio too. He spent around seven years presenting the weather at ITV until joining the BBC Weather Centre in the spring of 2003.
Hammond is a massive fan of english rock band Status Quo and he went on stage with the band playing with his guitar and went on the Ark Royal to watch the band play live on stage to promote their album Heavy Traffic.
- Profile, findmypast.co.uk; accessed 1 November 2015.
- Staff (17 December 2009). "John Hammond", BBC Weather; retrieved 15 January 2013. "John was born in Bosham, West Sussex on 9 April 1966."
- Staff (17 December 2009). "John Hammond", BBC Weather; retrieved 15 January 2013. "John studied for a Geography degree at Salford University, followed by a Masters in Meteorology at Birmingham University."
- "John Hammond profile". 17 December 2009. Retrieved 30 January 2012.
- Celebrity Mastermind. Episode 8. BBC One.