John Guppy is the owner of Gilt Edge Soccer Marketing, a soccer-specific marketing agency.
Guppy was Executive VP of the MetroStars until 2005, when he was chosen by former Chicago Fire owners AEG to replace the popular Peter Wilt in Chicago—a move that resulted in substantial fan backlash and protest. He successfully managed the team's move from Soldier Field to Toyota Park in Bridgeview in 2006. and was recognized by Crains Business Magazine as one of Chicago's 40 under 40 important business leaders.
John Guppy was born in Winchester, England. In 1990, he graduated from New Hampshire College (now Southern New Hampshire University), and in 1992, from the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He currently lives in Naperville, Illinois with his family.
John is also the cousin of former England national team midfielder Steve Guppy.
- "Spotlight: John Guppy". sportsbusinessjournal.com.
- "Fire Fire Peter Wilt, Fans Protest". chicagoist.com. Archived from the original on October 17, 2007. Retrieved December 31, 2007.
- "A chat with John Guppy". espn.com.
- "Focus: 40 under 40". Crain's Chicago Business. 23 October 2006. Archived from the original on 3 May 2012.
- "Chicago Fire president and GM John Guppy leaves team". usatoday.com. April 11, 2008. Retrieved May 6, 2010.