|Member of the Sejm|
14 December 2010 – 25 October 2015
|Constituency||9 – Łódź|
|Born||25 November 1970|
|Political party||Polish People's Party (2015-present) |
Poland Together (2013-2014)
Civic Platform (Until 2013)
John Abraham Godson (né Godson Chikama Onyekwere; born 25 November 1970) is a Polish politician of Nigerian descent, a university teacher and a former Charismatic minister. He served as a Member of the Sejm between 2010-2015, most recently as a member of the PSL.
Godson Chikama Onyekwere was born in Nigeria to an Igbo family from Umuahia, Abia State. He moved to Poland in 1993, and in 2001 became a Polish citizen. In 2008, he became a member of the Łódź City Council. In 2007, he unsuccessfully ran in the Polish parliamentary election. In 2010, he was re-elected for the City Council with 4736 votes, the second best result out of almost 800 candidates. As former MP Hanna Zdanowska was elected Mayor of Łódź in the same election, Godson replaced her as a member of the Sejm. He was sworn in on 14 December 2010. The "Obama bump" is considered by many the reason for the many votes he received during the Sejm campaign. His supporters were known to cheer "Wiwat! Wiwat polski Obama!" ("Long live the Polish Obama!"). John Godson was re-elected as a member of the Polish parliament on 9 October 2011 with 29,832 votes 
Godson often emphasizes the importance of education and he is the holder of numerous academic degrees. He has a bachelor of science degree in agronomy from Abia State University in Nigeria (1987–92). He also holds master's degrees in Human Resource Management and Development from Trinity College and Seminary in Newburgh, Indiana (2000–03) and International relations from the Łódź Academy of International Studies (2006–08). He finished two doctorate studies at the University of Warsaw (political Science- 2011) and University of Łódź (Management- 2012). He also holds a joint MBA/MSPC (Master of Business Administration/Master of Science in Professional Communication) run by Clark University and the Łódź Academy of Management.
He was a senior lecturer at the Technical University of Szczecin (1993–97) and at Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań. He is a guest lecturer in various institutions of higher learning in Poland and abroad. He the founder of GODSON GROUP- a conglomerate of five companies and four foundations including the African Institute in Poland  and John Godson Foundation. The New African magazine named him as being amongst 100 of the most influential people in Africa in 2015. On 14 November 2016, The Polish Minister of Foreign Affairs decorated him with Bene Merito honorary distinction for promoting Polish-Africa relations.
Godson is a former minister of Polish Charismatic "Church of God in Christ". He is known for his strong religious beliefs. He calls himself "[...]a slave of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the Gospel of God."
Views on racism in Poland
Godson has stated that there is "no racism" in Poland. Talking to Biuletyn Migracyjny, he said: "I've always said and still underline, that in my opinion there is no racism in Poland. There is, however, something that I call low inter-cultural competences. And this can be changed by more contact between different cultures and societal groups. No law can change the mentality of people".
Godson has said that the word "Murzyn", the Polish word most commonly used to refer to black people, is not offensive and that he is proud to be called a 'Murzyn'. Mamadou Diouf, a black Polish musician and representative of the Committee for the African Community (Komitet Społeczności Afrykańskiej), has criticised Godson for his use of the word, saying that it has only had "negative connotations" and that Godson does not know the origin of the word.
- "Czarnoskóry poseł John Abraham Godson - polski Obama pali się do pracy!" (in Polish). Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- Only Education, Discipline, And Good Leaders Can Save Africa! – New African
- PKW – Wybory 2011|11 October 2011
- Formularz dla kandydatów do Sejmu i Senatu RP Archived 2010-11-28 at the Wayback Machine
- "Wiadomości Łódź, Wydarzenia Łódź". lodz.naszemiasto.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2017-12-20.
- Godson's curriculum vitae Archived 2012-07-10 at Archive.today
- African Institute website (15 December 2010)
- Godson's Personal profile at Google Knol Archived 2011-10-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Suski z PiS o czarnoskórym pośle Godsonie: "Murzynek" [Wideo], Wiadomosci24, retrieved 29/01/2012: "Poseł PO w wywiadach twierdzi, że nie spotkał się w Polsce z oznakami rasizmu. "Zawsze mówiłem i nadal podkreślam, że moim zdaniem w Polsce nie ma rasizmu. Jest natomiast coś, co nazywam niskimi kompetencjami międzykulturowymi. I to można zmienić właśnie poprzez zwiększony kontakt między rożnymi kulturami i grupami społecznymi. Żadna ustawa nie zmieni mentalności ludzi" - mówił dla Biuletynu Migracyjnego."
- Czy Murzynek Bambo to rasistowski wierszyk?, TVP2
- "Murzyn to niewolnik. Szkoda, że poseł tego nie łapie", TVN24.pl, retrieved 30/11/2011. Diouf: "Myślę, że pan poseł nie zna pochodzenia słowa, o którym mowa" - "I think, that the MP doesn't know the etymology of the word".