John F. Harris
John F. Harris is an American political journalist and the co-founder of Politico, an Arlington, Virginia-based political news organization. With former Politico executive editor, Jim VandeHei, Harris founded Politico for its launch on January 23, 2007 and served as editor-in-chief until 2019. Harris is the author of a book on Bill Clinton called The Survivor, and the co-author with Mark Halperin of The Way to Win: Clinton, Bush, Rove and How to Take the White House in 2008.
Biography and personal life
Harris grew up in Pittsford, New York, where he attended Sutherland High School. He graduated from Carleton College in 1985, where he studied American history. After graduating Harris worked for The Washington Post for 21 years, having started as an intern just days after graduating. In 1990, he was transferred to the Post's Richmond bureau, covering Virginia politics during Douglas Wilder's governorship. He covered the Clinton White House from 1995 to 2001. In 2003 he was a guest scholar at the Brookings Institution. He became the Post's National Politics Editor in June 2005. Harris began "having conversations" in 2006 with fellow Post journalist Jim VandeHei about creating a new "publication about politics from the ground up". Those conversations led to the launch of Politico in 2007 under the Allbritton Communications banner.
"We have assembled a team of reporters and editors who will wake up each day looking for fresh ways to attack the best political stories in and around Capitol Hill and on the 2008 campaign trail. Along the way, we hope to add to the conversation about what's next for journalism. And we are determined to have fun while doing it – something that is in lamentably short supply in newsrooms these days."
- Mark Halperin and John F. Harris, The Way to Win: Taking the White House in 2008, Random House, October 2006, ISBN 1-4000-6447-3
- John F. Harris, The Survivor: Bill Clinton in the White House, Random House, May 2005, ISBN 0-375-50847-3, (Random House Trade Paperbacks, October 2006, ISBN 0-375-76084-9)
- Kakutani, Michiko (November 3, 2006). "Want to Move to the White House? Here's How". The New York Times. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- "The Panelists: John Harris". Washington Week. PBS. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- "About John F. Harris". The Washington Post. 2006. Retrieved November 11, 2012.
- Seelye, Katherine Q. (November 21, 2006). "Washington Post Reporters to Join Politics Web Site". The New York Times. Retrieved November 11, 2012.
- Rosen, Jay (November 22, 2006). "This Just In: John Harris and Jim VandeHei to Pull Back the Curtain on Official Washington". Press Think. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- Reporter Bio – John F. Harris. Politico.