John Evert Van Alen
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives|
from New York's 7th district
March 4, 1793 – March 3, 1799
|Preceded by||District created|
|Succeeded by||John C. Brodhead|
Kinderhook, Province of New York, British America
|Died||February 27, 1807 (aged 57–58)|
Defreestville, New York, U.S.
|Resting place||Bloomington Rural Cemetery|
North Greenbush, New York
|Spouse(s)||Anne Freyermoet Van Alen|
|Children||Everet Van Alen|
|Profession||surveyor, merchant, politician|
John Evert Van Alen (1749 – February 27, 1807) was an American surveyor, merchant, and politician from the U.S. state of New York. He served as a Federalist member of the United States House of Representatives.
He held various political office in New York, and was assistant judge for Rensselaer County in 1791. He was elected as a U.S. Representative to New York's newly created 7th congressional district in 1793 and was reelected twice, serving in Congress from March 4, 1793 to March 3, 1799. He then served as a member of the New York State Assembly in 1800 and 1801.
Death and legacy
Van Alen died in Defreestville on February 27, 1807 and is interred in Bloomingrove Rural Cemetery in North Greenbush, New York.
Van Alen married Anne Freyermoet in 1771. They had one child, Everet, whom they adopted.
- Bascomb, Neal (2004). Higher: A Historic Race to the Sky and the Making of a City. Broadway Books. p. 33.
- Roberts, James A. (1904). New York In The Revolution as Colony and State, Volume 1. Albany, NY: J. B. Lyon and Company. p. 110.
- Greenfield, Jim (November 28, 2006). "Our Most Famous Citizen" (PDF). Town Historian: North Greenbush Notes. Town of North Greenbush, NY. Retrieved January 15, 2015.
- New York (State) (1827). Laws of the State of New York. New York (State). p. 240. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Weise, A.J. (1880). History of the Seventeen Towns of Rensselaer County. Troy, NY: J. M. Francis & Tucker. p. 7. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Anderson, George Baker (1897). Landmarks of Rensselaer County, New York. D. Mason & Company. p. 71. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Congressional Quarterly, inc (2009). American Political Leaders 1789-2009. CQ Press. p. 257. ISBN 9781452267265. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- Herringshaw, Thomas William (1904). Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography of the Nineteenth Century. American Publishers' Association. p. 955. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Coffin, Margaret (1986). Borders and Scrolls: Early American Brush-Stroke Wall Painting 1790-1820. SUNY Press. p. 39. ISBN 9780939072088. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- United States Congress. "John Evert Van Alen (id: V000012)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- John Evert Van Alen at Find a Grave
- North Greenbush Notes: John Evert Van Alen
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|New district|| Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 7th congressional district