A native of West Hartford, Connecticut, Droney is a graduate of College of the Holy Cross and the University of Connecticut School of Law. He is former Chairman of the Connecticut Democratic State Central Committee and was a member of the Democratic National Committee. He was co-chair of the Bill Clinton-Al Gore campaign in Connecticut. Droney has usually been aligned with more conservative Connecticut Democrats such as former Governor William O'Neill.
In 2006 Droney was a vocal supporter of the re-election of his political ally, Senator Joe Lieberman. Early in the year he publicly urged Lieberman to forgo a Democratic party primary and seek reelection as an independent. Droney's strategy was vindicated when, after Lieberman lost the primary to Ned Lamont, Lieberman won re-election as an independent candidate.
His brother, Christopher F. Droney, is a judge on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- "Litigation Lawyers - Levy & Droney P.C. - connecticut trial lawyers, trial attorneys ct". web.Archive.org. October 25, 2006. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "Connecticut Law Firms - Levy & Droney P.C. - connecticut lawyers, business litigation". web.Archive.org. November 14, 2006. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- Jr, Perry Bacon (July 3, 2006). "Can Lieberman Survive Iraq?". Retrieved March 17, 2019 – via content.time.com.
- "Journal Inquirer - Lieberman wins, declares independence; Lamont concedes key tactical error". web.Archive.org. September 28, 2007. Retrieved March 17, 2019.
- "New Haven Independent - Top Dem's Aide Helps Joe Bolt Party". www.newhavenindependent.org. July 2006. Retrieved March 17, 2019.