|Archbishop of Wales|
|Church||Church in Wales|
|Diocese||Diocese of Swansea and Brecon|
|In office||2017 to present|
|Other posts||Bishop of Swansea and Brecon (2008–present) |
Dean of Brecon (2000–2008)
|Ordination||1984 (deacon) |
|Consecration||2 May 2008|
by Barry Morgan
|Birth name||John David Edward Davies|
|Born||6 February 1953|
|Education||Bassaleg Grammar School|
|Alma mater||University of Southampton |
St. Michael's College, Llandaff
University of Wales
John David Edward Davies (born 6 February 1953) is a Welsh Anglican bishop and former solicitor. Since 2008, he has been the Bishop of Swansea and Brecon in the Church in Wales. On 6 September 2017, he was also elected Archbishop of Wales; he continues in his role as diocesan bishop.
Early life and education
Davies was born on 6 February 1953 in Newport, Wales. He was educated at Bassaleg School, then a state grammar school. He studied law at the University of Southampton, graduating with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) in 1974. From 1975 to 1977, he undertook his training contract and he was admitted as a solicitor in 1977. He then practised law in a private practice until leaving the profession to enter the church.
In 1982, Davies entered St. Michael's College, Llandaff, an Anglican theological college, to train for ordained ministry and to study theology. In 1984, he completed a Diploma in Theology (DipTh) with the University of Wales. He later undertook postgraduate studies in canon law at Cardiff University, and completed a Master of Laws (LLM) degree in 1995.
Davies was ordained in the Church in Wales as a deacon on 29 September 1984 and as a priest on 28 September 1985. From 1984 to 1986. he served his curacy at St Mary's Church, Chepstow in the Diocese of Monmouth. From 1986 to 1989, he was curate-in-charge of Michaelston-y-Fedw and Rudry. He was then Rector of Bedwas and Rudry between 1989 and 1995. From 1995 to 2000, he was Vicar of the Church of St John Evangelist in Newport.
In January 2008, Davies was elected as the next Bishop of Swansea and Brecon, in succession to Anthony Pierce; he legally took his See by the confirmation of the election (in Sacred Synod) during April. On 2 May 2008, he was consecrated as a bishop by Barry Morgan, the Archbishop of Wales, during a service at Llandaff Cathedral. On 24 May 2008, he was installed in Brecon Cathedral as the ninth Bishop of Swansea and Brecon.
As the senior bishop in Wales, Davies served as the acting Archbishop of Wales in the vacancy following Barry Morgan's retirement on 31 January 2017. As such, he was the principal consecrator of June Osborne in July 2017.
On 6 September 2017, Davies was elected the 13th Archbishop of Wales; he took up the post with the confirmation of that election the same day. He was enthroned as archbishop at Brecon Cathedral on 2 December 2017.
In 1986, Davies married Joanna Lucy "Jo" Aulton; she works as a nurse in the NHS. Together they have two children: Kate and Christopher. On the 15th of March 2017 he was appointed as a Knight of the Order of St John.
- "Bishop John's profile". Diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Church in Wales. Archived from the original on 14 February 2017. Retrieved 13 February 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "John David Edward Davies". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 13 February 2017.
- "SWANSEA AND BRECON, Bishop of". Who's Who 2017. Oxford University Press. November 2016. Retrieved 13 February 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Crockfords, (London, Church House 1995) ISBN 0-7151-8088-6
- "The Most Reverend J D E Davies". The Church in Wales. Retrieved 12 April 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "New bishop consecrated at service". BBC News. 2 May 2008. Retrieved 13 February 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Constitution of the Church in Wales, Chapter V Part II, Section 9 (Accessed 5 January 2017)
- "Consecration of the Bishop of Llandaff". Church in Wales. 17 July 2017. Archived from the original on 29 August 2017. Retrieved 19 July 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Bishop John Davies chosen as new Archbishop of Wales". BBC News. 6 September 2017. Retrieved 6 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "New Archbishop of Wales elected". Church in Wales. 6 September 2017. Retrieved 6 September 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archbishop wants to 'refresh' church". BBC News. 2 December 2017. Retrieved 9 March 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Monmouth Bishop absent amid mediation with team". 25 January 2019 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Bishop retires following nine-month absence". South Wales Argus.
- "Saga that saw Bishop of Monmouth absent from his post for nine months declared 'over' by Archbishop of Wales". South Wales Argus.
- "Order of St John | The Gazette". www.thegazette.co.uk.
|Church in Wales titles|
| Bishop of Swansea and Brecon
| Archbishop of Wales
| Dean of Brecon Cathedral