|Dean of Wells|
|Church||Church of England|
|Diocese||Diocese of Bath and Wells|
|In office||2004 to 2015|
|Ordination||1976 (deacon) |
|Birth name||John Martin Clarke|
|Born||20 February 1952|
Early life and education
Clarke was born on 20 February 1952 and educated at West Buckland School, an independent school in West Buckland, Devon. In 1973, he entered Edinburgh Theological College, an Anglican theological college in Edinburgh. During this time, he also studied at the University of Edinburgh, and he graduated with a Bachelor of Divinity (BD) degree in 1976. He studied at Hertford College, Oxford and Edinburgh University.
Clarke was ordained in the Church of England as a deacon in 1976 and as a priest in 1977. His career began with a curacy at The Ascension, Kenton, Newcastle, after which he was precentor of St Ninian's Cathedral, Perth, then the information officer and communications advisor to the General Synod of the Scottish Episcopal Church. From 1989 to 1996 he was vicar of St Mary, Battersea, then principal of Ripon College Cuddesdon and finally (before his appointment to the deanery) a residentiary canon at Lincoln Cathedral.
As part of his duties as dean of Wells Cathedral he is also chairman of the governors at Wells Cathedral School.
- "Dean of Wells: John Harverd Davies". 10 Downing Street. Retrieved 26 April 2017.
- "CLARKE, Very Rev. John Martin". Who's Who 2017. Oxford University Press. November 2016. Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- "Clarke John Martin". Crockford's Clerical Directory (online ed.). Church House Publishing. Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- Who's Who2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Crockford's Clerical Directory2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Church web site Archived 2009-05-31 at the Wayback Machine
- Debrett's People of Today London, 2008 Debrett's, ISBN 978-1-870520-95-9
- "The Church Commissioners". Church of England. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
|Church of England titles|
| Dean of Wells
2004 – 2015