May 2, 1920
|Died||June 6, 2011 (aged 91)|
John Boswall (2 May 1920 – 6 June 2011) was a British actor probably best known for playing Wyvern in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest.
Boswall's television appearances included Paul Temple (1971), Wessex Tales (1973), Lady Killer (1973) Edward the Seventh (1975), The Onedin Line (1976), Love in a Cold Climate (1980), The Hound of the Baskervilles (1982), Sapphire & Steel (1982), No Place Like Home (1986), EastEnders (1990), Selling Hitler (1991), Agatha Christie's Poirot (1991), Drop the Dead Donkey (1993), Lovejoy (1993), Poldark (1996), Doctors (2000), Rome (2005) and Terry Pratchett's Hogfather (2006).
Stage appearances included Edward Bond's The Fool at the Royal Court Theatre (1975), Sweeney Todd at the Little Theatre, Bristol (1978–79); Oh, What A Lovely War!, A Midsummer Night’s Dream (1979–80), and Kiss Me, Kate (1980–81) at the Bristol Old Vic; Henry IV, Part I (1984–85) at the Theatre Royal, Bath; Doctor Faustus (1974), Cymbeline (1974) and Camille (1985–86) with the Royal Shakespeare Company; and Moliere's Bourgeois Gentilhomme (1992) at the Royal National Theatre.
His films included Nineteen Eighty-Four as Emmanuel Goldstein (1984), Three Men and a Little Lady (1990), The Wind in the Willows (1996), The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999), Hotel Splendide (2000), Ladies in Lavender (2004), Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006) and Morris: A Life with Bells On (2009).
|1976||The Life Story of Baal||Woodcutter|
|1984||Nineteen Eighty-Four||Emmanuel Goldstein|
|1990||Three Men and a Little Lady||Barrow|
|1996||The Wind in the Willows||The Elderly Gentleman|
|1998||Stiff Upper Lips||Don 2|
|1999||The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc||Old Priest|
|2003||The Statement||Father Léo|
|2004||Ladies in Lavender||Very Old Man 2|
|2006||Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest||Wyvern|
|2006||Terry Pratchett's Hogfather||Chair of Indefinite Studies||TV movie|
|2009||Morris: A Life with Bells On||Mr. Staveley||(final film role)|
- Boswall on the Internet Movie Database
- Bond, Edward (18 November 1975). "The Fool". Peter Gill, playwright and theatre director. Archived from the original on 11 September 2010. Retrieved 23 April 2008.
- "John Boswall". Theatricalia.com. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Charlotte. "Hotel Spendide". British Film Institute. Archived from the original on 14 February 2006. Retrieved 9 June 2005.
- Wakefield, Nick (22 June 2011). "Acting elite bid farewell to John at Woodchester funeral". Stroud News & Journal. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- "Obituary: John Boswall, actor". Scotsman.com. JPIMedia Ltd. 17 August 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2018.