Sir John Addis KCMG (11 June 1914 – 31 July 1983) was a British diplomat, ambassador to Laos, the Philippines and China, and a collector of Ming porcelain which he gave to the British Museum.
John Mansfield Addis was educated at Rugby School and Christ Church, Oxford, and joined the Foreign Office in 1938. After postings at Nanking, Peking and the Foreign Office, he was ambassador to Laos 1960–62; Fellow at the Harvard Center for International Affairs 1962–63; ambassador to the Philippines 1963–70; Senior Civilian Instructor at the Imperial Defence College 1970–71; and ambassador to China 1972–74. After retiring from the Diplomatic Service, Addis was Senior Research Fellow in Contemporary Chinese Studies at Wolfson College, Oxford, 1975–82. He was a trustee of the British Museum.
- Sir John Addis will be remembered with gratitude, respect and affection at the British Museum. His gift in 1975 of twenty-three pieces of early Chinese porcelain of superb quality and importance was not only one of the Museum's major benefactions this century but also a carefully thought out addition to the existing collections, every piece having been deliberately chosen in advance to fill gaps in the permanent exhibition.
— Lawrence Smith, Keeper of Oriental Antiquities, British Museum
- The India-China border question, Harvard University, 1963.
- Chinese ceramics from datable tombs, Philip Wilson Publishers, 1978. ISBN 0856670391
- "No. 34560". The London Gazette. 11 October 1938. p. 6365.
- "No. 42001". The London Gazette. 5 April 1960. p. 2467.
- "No. 43135". The London Gazette. 18 October 1963. p. 8490.
- "No. 41589". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 January 1959. p. 5.
- "No. 45860". The London Gazette (Supplement). 1 January 1973. p. 4.
- Lawrence Smith, Sir John Addis, The Times, London, 8 August 1983, page 10
- ADDIS, Sir John (Mansfield), Who Was Who, A & C Black, 1920–2008; online edn, Oxford University Press, Dec 2012
- Sir John Addis (obituary), The Times, London, 2 August 1983, page 12
- Sir John M Addis (Biographical details), British Museum
- Addis, Sir John Mansfield – archive material listed at the Archives Hub
- Papers relating to the diplomatic career and scholarly interests of Sir John Mansfield Addis are held at SOAS Archives
Sir Anthony Lincoln
| Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary at Vientiane
Sir Donald Hopson
| Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary at Manila
Sir John Curle
| Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary at Peking
Sir Edward Youde