Size and capability
The main structure was opened in 1979.
The facility has 1,088 usable beds. The hospital’s professional and support staff exceeds 4,000 people.
It is also the main teaching hospital for the University of the Witwatersrand, faculty of Health Sciences. The institution provides the service base for undergraduate and post-graduate training in all area of health professions.
The joint staff produces world-class research and collaborates with several universities on the continent and abroad. The hospital offers a full range of tertiary, secondary and highly specialized services.
The costs of providing these services to the population of Gauteng Province, in addition to the neighbouring provinces, are funded by a National Tertiary Services Grant, as well as Provincial allocation.
The hospital also serves as a referral hospital for a number of hospitals in its referral chain.
- Department Medicine
- Haemotology and Oncology
- Family Health
- Department of Surgery
- Paediatric surgery
- Trauma Unit
- Plastic and Reconstructive surgery
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Maxillo-facial and Oral surgery
- Department of Nuclear Medicine
- Department of Orthopaedics
- Department of Ophthalmology
- Department of Anaesthesia
- Department of Radiation Therapy
- Department of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Department of Radiology – Diagnostics
- Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health
Allied medical departments
- Dietary Services
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy & Audiology
- Social Work
Coat of arms
The hospital registered a coat of arms at the Bureau of Heraldry in 1980 : Azure, on a Latin cross nowy, the arms potent and the foot throughout, Argent, a pomme charged with a gold stamp Or, between on the arms three potents and on the foot a rod of Aesculapius, Vert, the rod entwined of a serpent Or.