|Born||28 September 1983|
Hindley, Wigan, England
|Home town||Halliwell, Bolton|
|Playing darts since||1993|
|Darts||24 Gram Target Signature|
|Walk-on music||Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||101|
|BDO majors – best performances|
|World Masters||Last 40: 2010|
|PDC premier events – best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Last 32: 2016|
|World Matchplay||Last 32: 2015|
|Grand Slam||Group Stage: 2017, 2018|
|UK Open||Last 32: 2011, 2014, 2016|
|Players Ch'ship Finals||Last 32: 2015|
|Other tournament wins|
In March 2014, he reached the last 32 of the UK Open again, this time being beaten 9–3 by Raymond van Barneveld. Later in the month he progressed to the last 16 of a PDC event for the first time as he beat the likes of Dean Winstanley and Dave Chisnall at the first Players Championship, before losing 6–4 to Andy Hamilton. He won through to the same stage of the third event where he was defeated 6–1 by Gary Anderson. Murnan also qualified for the German Darts Masters, but was eliminated 6–2 by Andy Smith in the first round.
In February 2015 at the German Darts Championship, Murnan beat Michael Barnard 6–5, Ian White 6–4 (averaged 99.72) and Brendan Dolan 6–4 to play in his first PDC quarter-final. He fell 4–0 down to world number one Michael van Gerwen, before closing to 4–3 with a 12 dart leg, but went on to lose 6–4.
In May 2015, at the 10th Players Championship in Crawley, Murnan won his first PDC title and the £10,000 first prize. His run included 6–3 and 6–4 victories over Premier League players Stephen Bunting and Dave Chisnall in the quarter-finals and final, respectively. The win saw him qualify for the World Matchplay for the first time and he trailed Adrian Lewis 7–2 in the opening round. Murnan won four successive legs, but went on to be beaten 10–7 on his televised debut. He was whitewashed 6–0 by Dave Chisnall on his Players Championship Finals debut.
Murnan's title saw him finish the third highest of the non-qualified players on the Pro Tour Order of Merit for the 2016 World Championship. He played 2012 runner-up Andy Hamilton in the first round and, having trailed 2–1 in sets (missing five darts to lead 2–1 himself) and 2–0 down in legs, Murnan managed to pull off a comeback victory to set up a second round match with Alan Norris, which he lost 4–1. He was knocked out in the fourth round of the UK Open 9–8 by Jelle Klaasen. Murnan's first quarter-final of 2016 was at the 11th Players Championship event and he was edged out 6–5 by Joe Cullen. He qualified for the World Series of Darts Finals and again lost 6–5 to Cullen. He was also knocked out in the first round of the Players Championship Finals 6–0 by Jermaine Wattimena.
Murnan lost his PDC Tour Card at the end of 2018 despite managing to qualify for the Grand Slam of Darts for the second consecutive year. However, he won it straight back at UK Q-School in January 2019 via the Order of Merit, sealing at least another two years on the ProTour.
World Championship results
- "Coral UK Open - Saturday Afternoon". PDC. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Anderson Wins Third Title Of The Year". PDC. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Anderson Pips Taylor In Crawley". PDC. Archived from the original on 24 March 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "2014 PDC German Darts Masters Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "Mighty Mike's Epic Win In Germany". PDC. Retrieved 15 February 2015.
- "Debut PDC Title For Super Murnan". PDC. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "BetVictor World Matchplay Day One". PDC. Archived from the original on 20 July 2015. Retrieved 19 July 2015.
- "Cash Converters PCF - Day One". PDC. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "2016 PDC World Championship Qualifiers". Darts Database. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "William Hill World Championship Day Ten". PDC. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "2016 Coral UK Open Fourth Round". PDC. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "White Denies Cullen For Barnsley Win". PDC. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "2016 World Series Of Darts Finals Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "2016 Players Championship Finals Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "William Hill World Championship Day Four". PDC. Archived from the original on 22 December 2016. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- Player profile on Joe Murnan from Dartsdatabase