This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||February 20, 1921|
Akron, Ohio, U.S.
|Died||February 18, 1945 (aged 23)|
|Cause of death||Killed in action|
|Spouse(s)||Jean Fahrney (1941 - 1945, his death)|
|Parent(s)||Mr. and Mrs. Merrill W. Butler|
Butler earned acclaim for his role in the 1933 film Only Yesterday, his screen debut, and in 1934 his career got another significant boost when the actor earned lavish critical plaudits for his portrayal of Jim Wade in Manhattan Melodrama. Later he played one of the young protagonists, Boka, in No Greater Glory.
- Only Yesterday (1933) - Jim Jr.
- Beloved (1934) - Charles Hausmann, as a boy
- No Greater Glory (1934) - Boka
- Manhattan Melodrama (1934) - Jim - as a Boy
- Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1934) - Billy Wiggs
- I'll Fix It (1934) - Bobby Grimes
- Romance in Manhattan (1935) - Frank Dennis
- When a Man's a Man (1935) - Jimmy - Newsboy
- Laddie (1935) - Leon Stanton
- Dinky (1935) - Cadet Lane
- The Awakening of Jim Burke (1935) - Jimmy Burke
- The Dark Angel (1935) - Gerald as a Child (uncredited)
- Show Them No Mercy! (1935) - Boy at Service Station (uncredited)
- Battle of Greed (1937) - Danny Storm
- Stella Dallas (1937) - Con Morrison - Grown Up
- County Fair (1937) - Buddy Williams - Julie's Brother
- Wells Fargo (1937) - Nick Pryor Jr. (uncredited)
- The Shopworn Angel (1938) - Jack - Elevator Boy (uncredited)
- Boys Town (1938) - Paul Ferguson
- Winter Carnival (1939) - Larry Grey
- Nurse Edith Cavell (1939) - Jean
- The Escape (1939) - Jim Rogers
- Call a Messenger (1939) - Bob Prichard
- Star Dust (1940) - Minor Role (uncredited)
- Golden Gloves (1940) - Willie Burke (uncredited)
- Military Academy (1940) - Cadet Dewey
- Naval Academy (1941) - Matt Cooper
- Rise and Shine (1941) - Student Manager (uncredited)
- Uncle Joe (1941) - Bob
- Tough As They Come (1942) - Gene Bennett
- The Hard Way (1943) - Boy (uncredited)
- This Is the Army (1943) - Soldier (uncredited)
- Someone to Remember (1943) - Bob Edgar (uncredited)
- Corvette K-225 (1943) - Rating (uncredited)
- Girl Crazy (1943) - Student (uncredited) (final film role)
- "Akron Product". The Akron Beacon Journal. Ohio, Akron. November 21, 1933. p. 21. Retrieved June 22, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- McCormick, Ella H. (November 11, 1933). "Fox". Detroit Free Press. Michigan, Detroit. p. 14. Retrieved June 22, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Iowa Singer, Actor Wed". Des Moines Tribune. Iowa, Des Moines. United Press. March 22, 1941. p. 5. Retrieved June 22, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
- "'Dead End Kid' Dies in Action". Des Moines Tribune. Iowa, Des Moines. Associated Press. February 28, 1945. p. 7. Retrieved June 22, 2018 – via Newspapers.com.
|This article about a United States film actor born in the 1920s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|