|Education||University of California Santa Cruz|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Jessie Nelson is an American film producer, director, and writer.
Nelson began her directing career with the award-winning short film To The Moon, Alice (1990), which she also wrote. The film starred Chris Cooper. The film was part of a television program for Showtime titled The Showtime 30-Minute Movie.
Her first feature film was Corrina, Corrina (1994) which she wrote, directed, and produced. It starred Whoopi Goldberg and Ray Liotta. The film was suggested by her life. She went on to write, direct, and produce I Am Sam (2001) starring Sean Penn.
She co-wrote Stepmom (1998) and The Story of Us (1999), and co-wrote and produced Because I Said So and produced Fred Claus based on a bedtime story she would tell her daughter. In 2014 she produced Danny Collins which starred Al Pacino and Annette Bening.
She wrote the Broadway musical adaptation of the movie Waitress with music and lyrics by Sara Bareilles, directed by Diane Paulus, which premiered on Broadway in April 2016. She co-wrote and directs the musical Alice by Heart with Steven Sater and music by Duncan Sheik, which opened Off-Broadway in February 2019.
|1991||To the Moon, Alice||Yes||Yes||No||Short film|
|1994||Corrina, Corrina||Yes||Yes||Yes||Directorial feature debut|
|1999||The Story of Us||No||Yes||Yes|
|2001||I Am Sam||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2007||Because I Said So||No||Yes||Yes|
|Love the Coopers||Yes||No||Yes|
|1988||Tucker: The Man and His Dream||Woman on Steps|
|1993||So I Married an Axe Murderer||Ralph|
|1999||The Story of Us||Realtor|
|1987||Daniel and the Towers||No||Yes||No||Television film|
|1996||Chicago Hope||No||Story||No||Episode: ''Women on the Verge''|
|2005||Earth to America||No||Yes||No||Television special|
|2017||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Yes||No||No||Episode: ''Namaste''|
|2020||Little Voice||Yes||Yes||Yes||9 episodes (directed 5 episodes)|
|1993||The Switch||Elizabeth Garland||Television film|
|1994||Hoggs' Heaven||Poet||Television short film|
|1997||ER||Bite Victim's Mother||Episode: ''Ambush''|
- To The Moon Alice tcm.com, retrieved May 20, 2019
- James, Caryn. "Review/Film; 2 Views of the Homeless, One Aggressive, One Gentle" The New York Times, October 2, 1991
- Tucker, Ken. The Showtime 30-Minute Movie ew.com, August 17, 1990
- Dutka, Elaine. "The Making of 'Corrina' a Real Labor of Love : Movies: It took Jessie Nelson nine years to get the film made. Its story is taken from her life." Los Angeles Times, September 10, 1994
- Corrina, Corrina tcm.com, retrieved May 20, 2019
- I Am Sam tcm.com, retrieved May 20, 2019
- Goodridge, Sam. " 'I Am Sam' producers win Stanley Kramer PGA prize" screendaily.com, January 31, 2002
- Waitress Playbill (vault), retrieved May 20, 2019
- Rizzo, Frank. "Off Broadway Review: 'Alice by Heart'" Variety, February 26, 2019
- Cormier, Ryan (October 30, 2009). "'Curb Your Enthusiasm,' Delaware-style". DelawareOnline.com. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- Nordstrom, Leigh (March 21, 2019). "Molly Gordon, Hollywood's New Comedic Darling". WWD. Retrieved May 28, 2019.
- "18 Things to Know About Molly Gordon". Alma. 20 May 2019.