Jennifer Laura Thompson
Jennifer Laura Thompson after a performance of Dear Evan Hansen
|Born||December 3, 1969|
Southfield, Michigan, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of Michigan|
Thompson made her Broadway debut in 1998 as Ariel Moore in the original cast of Footloose. She also originated the role of Hope Cladwell in both the off-Broadway and Broadway productions of Urinetown. She received a Tony Award nomination for the 2002 Best Leading Actress in a Musical category for her performance as Hope in Urinetown; the award went to Sutton Foster for her performance in Thoroughly Modern Millie.
Thompson is also well known for being the first replacement actress for the role of Glinda in the Broadway hit musical Wicked at the Gershwin Theatre. Her first performance replacing Kristin Chenoweth was on July 20, 2004, and continued in the role for over ten months. During her run as Glinda, she performed opposite Idina Menzel and Shoshana Bean as Elphaba. She departed the company on May 29, 2005. She was replaced by Megan Hilty, who had served as her standby. Thompson would later return to the theatre on October 27, 2008, to take part in a one-off performance titled "The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken", a presentation of rough scenes and songs cut from early drafts of Wicked.
Off-Broadway, Thompson played the lead role of Charlotte in the Michael John LaChiusa musical, Little Fish at the Second Stage Theatre. She also appeared in A Doll's Life at the York Theatre, Good News at the Westchester Broadway Theatre (as Connie), Pardon My English, Strike up the Band!, and most recently, Of Thee I Sing for City Center Encores!, and Tip-Toes at Carnegie Hall. She played Julie Jordan in the first national tour of Carousel, and appeared in national tours for Jesus Christ Superstar (as Mary) and The Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. Regionally, she has played roles such as Laura in The Glass Menagerie, Corie in Barefoot in the Park and Luisa in The Fantasticks. She has also made a guest appearance on television's Law & Order: Special Victims Unit.
On December 17, 2010, it was announced that she would be featured in the premiere of the musical version of the film Little Miss Sunshine at the La Jolla Playhouse in La Jolla, California. The musical ran at La Jolla from February 15 through March 27, 2011, with Thompson in the role of Sheryl Hoover. She did not play in the Off-Broadway production (which ran in November to December 2013).
|1994||A Doll's Life||Lady of the Evening/Jailed Woman/Helga/Brigit||Off-Broadway|
|1998||Strike Up the Band||Ensemble||Encores!|
|2004||Pardon My English||Frieda Bauer||Encores!|
|2006||Of Thee I Sing||Mary Turner||Encores!|
|2008||On the Town||Claire de Loone||Encores!|
|2010||Lend Me a Tenor||Diana||Broadway|
|2011||Little Miss Sunshine||Sheryl||La Jolla Playhouse|
|2012||Nice Work If You Can Get It||Eileen Evergreen||Broadway|
|2015||Lady, Be Good!||Josephine Vanderwater||Concert|
|Dear Evan Hansen||Cynthia Murphy||Arena Stage|
|2002||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Aimee Slocum||1 episode|
|2009||The Battery's Down||Jess Wilson||1 episode|
|2011||Person of Interest||Mrs. Kovach||1 episode|
|2014||Elementary||Rachel Brown||1 episode|
|2016||The Mysteries of Laura||Mindy Lewis||1 episode|
Awards and nominations
|2002||Tony Award||Best Actress in a Musical||Urinetown||Nominated|
|2016||Helen Hayes Award||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Musical||Dear Evan Hansen||Nominated|
|2018||Grammy Awards||Best Musical Theater Album||Won|
|Emmy Awards - Daytime||Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program||Won|
- "Jennifer Laura Thompson" masterworksbroadway.com, retrieved August 22, 2017
- Andrew Gans. "Ashanti, Bean, Behar, Block, Cantone and More Set for Yellow Brick Road Not Taken Concert". Playbill. Retrieved October 17, 2008.
- Ernio Hernandez. "Photo Call: Encores! Goes on the Town". Retrieved November 8, 2011.
- Hetrick, Adam.Adam Hetrick (December 17, 2009). "Tucci to Direct LaPaglia, Shalhoub, Maxwell and More in Lend Me a Tenor Broadway Revival". Playbill. Archived from the original on October 11, 2012. Retrieved December 17, 2009.
- Kenneth Jones (December 17, 2010). "Hunter Foster, Dick Latessa, Malcolm Gets, Jennifer Laura Thompson Will Star in Little Miss Sunshine". Playbill. Archived from the original on February 22, 2014. Retrieved February 23, 2014.
- Champion, Lindsay. "Jump In! 'Little Miss Sunshine', Starring Will Swenson & Stephanie J. Block, Begins Performances" broadway.com, October 15, 2013
- Champion, Lindsay. "Tony Nominee Will Swenson to Replace Will Chase in Off-Broadway’s 'Little Miss Sunshine' " broadway.com, September 3, 2013
- "Michael McGrath, Judy Kaye, Jennifer Laura Thompson, et al. Join Cast of NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT". December 8, 2011. Retrieved December 11, 2011.