This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Public Service, Non-Profit|
Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis|
Robert Taft, Jr.
The Jefferson Awards Foundation was created in 1972 by the American Institute for Public Service. The Jefferson Awards are given at both national and local levels. Local winners are ordinary people who do extraordinary things without expectation of recognition. Local winners come from national networks of "Media Partners" and "Corporate Champions", and from the associated "Students In Action", Lead360 and GlobeChangers programs. The Jefferson Awards Foundation is led by its CEO, Hillary Schafer, its president, Sam Beard, and its chairman, Jack Russi, in conjunction with the Foundation's board of governors.
The awards are presented each year during a ceremony in Washington, D.C. in June, where a broad array of honorees are recognized. Also recognized are organizations – companies that represent the pinnacle in corporate citizenship and schools that best reflect the Jeffersonian ideals of citizen involvement.
In 1972, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, U.S. Senator Robert Taft, Jr., and Samuel Beard founded the Jefferson Awards for Public Service to establish a Nobel Prize for public and community service. The Jefferson Awards is led by the board of Selectors who choose the national winners and oversee the activities of the organization. Co-founder Sam Beard is currently the President & CEO.
Jefferson Awards Foundation
The Jefferson Awards Foundation is a non-profit organization that "recognizes, inspires and activates volunteerism and public service in communities, workplaces and schools across America." The Institute was founded in 1972 by Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, U.S. Senator Robert Taft, Jr. and Sam Beard.
List of all past national winners
- "Jefferson Awards". kbtx.com. Atlanta, Georgia: Gray Television. 2011. Archived from the original on 29 May 2011. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
The American Institute for Public Service created the Jefferson Awards in 1972, honoring those who have dedicated time to public service.
- "Capital Region Jefferson Awards honor local volunteers". San Francisco: Hearst Communications. Archived from the original on 29 May 2011. Retrieved 28 May 2011.
- Harris, Dianne (2007), "Chapter 3: Where to find grants & types of grants", The complete guide to writing effective & award winning grants (Google book), Ocala, Florida: Atlantic Publishing Company, p. 84, ISBN 978-1-60138-046-3, OCLC 182779620, retrieved 28 May 2011,
For example, the Jefferson Awards for Public Service are sponsored by media outlets, and awards are given at the local and national levels. The award consists of a specially designed medal and media publicity for the cause of the recipient.
- Crevier, Nancy (June 19, 2009). "Jennifer Staples Receives Jefferson Award For Public Service". The Newtown Bee.
- "Dolores Huerta Receives National Award". Huffington Post. 20 June 2013.
- "Courage, Compassion & America's Best Kept Secret". Huffington Post. 11 June 2014.
- "When Making a Difference: Conversations with Lauren Bush Lauren of FEED". Huffington Post. 28 June 2015.
- "Here's what we learned after spending five minutes with Kid President". USA Today.
- "Arne Duncan - #VoicesofJAF - Blog". Blog. 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "Jefferson Award Winner: Sean Parker - Blog". Blog. 2016-06-13. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "Jefferson Award Winner: Kyle Zimmer, First Book - Blog". Blog. 2016-06-10. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "And The Jefferson Award for Service Goes to…The Young American Soldier - Mission Continues Blog". www.missioncontinuesblog.org. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "Eric Decker Awarded 2016 Jefferson Award". Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "Jefferson Awards Foundation Names Billie Jean King, Eric Decker and Salesforce 2016 National Public Service Award Recipients". PRWeb. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "Rising sophomore wins Jefferson Award for public service". YaleNews. 2016-07-14. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- Foundation, The Jefferson Awards. "Jefferson Awards Foundation Honors Joe Torre, Deval Patrick, Sheila Johnson, Patrisse Cullors, Alicia Garza and Opal Tometi as 2017 National Public Service Honorees". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2017-09-25.
- "Jefferson Awards Foundation Honors Harry Belafonte, Laurie Hernandez, Peter Diamandis and Warby Parker as 2017 National Public Service Award Recipients". Retrieved 2017-09-25.