Verdet in 2012
|Born||1932 (age 86–87)|
|Occupation||Astronomer, historian of astronomy, mathematician|
Jean-Pierre Verdet is a Bachelor of Mathematics. Doctor of Science at Paris Diderot University (1975). In 1963, he entered the Paris Observatory, where, after studying the solar corona, he inaugurated infrared astronomy in France, then studied the radiation of the planets in this wavelength domain. He later became head of the Department of Spherical Astronomy at Paris Observatory. He has regularly taught the MAS of celestial mechanics at the Observatory, a higher education institution which is authorized to issue doctorates.
He left the Observatory in 1976, he devoted half of his activity to the history of ancient astronomy with the multidisciplinary team he had assembled at the Observatory, to translate Latin, Greek and Arabic astronomical texts. In the field of history of astronomy, in addition to scholarly works, he has authored many books for general public, especially for youth. He was a member of Pierre Marchand’s team that helped to create Gallimard Jeunesse. He wrote Le ciel, ordre et désordre (1987), a heavily illustrated pocket book for Gallimard’s encyclopaedic collection "Découvertes", which has been translated into fourteen languages, including English. He has published more than 30 books at Gallimard.
In 2016, the Budget Prize of Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres was awarded to Michel-Pierre Lerner, Alain-Philippe Segonds and Jean-Pierre Verdet for their 3-volume critical works of Nicolaus Copernicus’ De revolutionibus orbium coelestium.
For this same publication, which is the first critical work of De revolutionibus orbium coelestium that translated into French with commentaries, the Alexandre Koyré Medal 2015 of International Academy of the History of Science was awarded to this team work.
- The Air Around Us, Moonlight Publishing, 1986
- Le ciel, ordre et désordre, collection « Découvertes Gallimard » (nº 26), série Sciences et techniques. Éditions Gallimard, 1987, new edition in 2001
- The Earth and Sky, Scholastic, 1992
- Earth, Sky and Beyond: A Journey Through Space, Dutton Juvenile, 1995
- Penser l’univers, collection « Découvertes Gallimard Texto » (nº 2). Éditions Gallimard, 1998
- Collective work
- Nicolaus Copernicus, translated by J-P Verdet and others, De revolutionibus orbium coelestium / Des révolutions des orbes célestes, Les Belles Lettres, 2015
- "JEAN-PIERRE VERDET". Éditions Gallimard (in French). 2006-04-20. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Search results: 'Jean-Pierre Verdet'". Éditions Gallimard (in French). Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Souvenirs : nuits des étoiles". Étoile du 60 (in French). 2009-09-23. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Prix du Budget". www.aibl.fr (in French). Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- Lerner, Michel (2016-01-08). "L'événement de la fin de l'année 2015 : édition et traduction complète et commentée du De revolutionibus de Copernic". obspm.fr (in French). Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "First critical edition of the work of Copernicus". obspm.fr. 2016-01-19. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Nicolas Copernic. De revolutionibus orbium coelestium". Labex TransferS (in French). 2017-01-20. Retrieved 2018-02-09.
- "Le ciel, ordre et désordre, collection Découvertes Gallimard (n° 26)" (in French). Éditions Gallimard. Retrieved 2018-02-09.