|Length||241.0 km (149.8 mi)|
|Existed||4 December 1952–present|
|Beltway around Tokyo|
|CCW end||National Route 1 in Nishi-ku, Yokohama|
|CW end||National Route 1 in Nishi-ku, Yokohama|
|National highways of Japan|
Expressways of Japan
National Route 16 (国道16号, Kokudō Jūroku-gō) is a national highway in Japan. A beltway around Tokyo, it links the major prefectural capital cities of Yokohama (in Kanagawa Prefecture), Saitama (in Saitama Prefecture), and Chiba (in Chiba Prefecture) as well as Hachiōji (in Tokyo). It also serves Yokosuka and Sagamihara (in Kanagawa Prefecture), Kasukabe (in Saitama Prefecture), and Kisarazu (in Chiba Prefecture). The total length is 241 km.
Along with the Ken-Ō Expressway, Route 16 connects the entire length of the Technology Advanced Metropolitan Area (TAMA) Network region - an inland industrial area covering an area of 3000 km2, covering 74 municipalities and home to over 10 million people of whom 4 million work in the TAMA Network firms. In 1998 goods shipped from TAMA had twice the shipment value of the Silicon Valley.
Before 1963, the route did not follow a loop, but ran from Futtsu to Yokosuka to Yokohama. The Yokosuka-Yokohama section was designated as National Highway 45 on 8 July 1887 and became National Highway 31 in 1920 and Route 16 in 1952. On 1 April 1963, Route 16 was extended to Kisarazu, replacing a portion of Route 127 and all of Route 129 when these sections were promoted to Class 1 highways, forming the current route around Tokyo.
- Length: 241 km (149.8 mi)
- Origin and Terminus: Nishi-ku, Yokohama (originates and ends at junction with Route 1)
- Major cities: Yokosuka, Sagamihara, Hachioji, Kawagoe, Saitama, Kasukabe, Kashiwa, Chiba and Kisarazu
- "一般国道の路線別、都道府県別道路現況" [Road statistics by General National Highway route and prefecture] (PDF) (in Japanese). Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Retrieved 19 February 2020.
- 一般国道１６号 (in Japanese). Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Kanto Regional Development Bureau. Archived from the original on 28 July 2010. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- Chandra, Pankaj. "Networks of Small Producers for Technological Innovations: Some Models" (PDF). IIM Ahmedabad Working Paper No. 2006-03-02, March 2006. IIM Ahmedabad. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Route 16 (Japan).|