|Princely State of British India|
Jamkhandi State in the Imperial Gazetteer of India
|1,357 km2 (524 sq mi)|
• Acceded to the Union of India
|Today part of||Karnataka, India|
Jamkhandi State was one of the Maratha princely states of British India. It was founded in 1811 and its capital was at Jamakhandi. It was administered as part of the Deccan States Agency of the Bombay Presidency and was one of the former states of the Southern Maratha Country.
Jamkhandi state was founded in 1811 by Shrimant Gopalrao Patwardhan. He was a descendant of Bramhibhoot Harbhat Buva Patwardhan of Kurandvad Senior State.
The name of the state was derived from Jambukeshwar temple. The temple itself got the name because it was deep inside a Jambul blueberry (Jambul in Marathi, Nerale Hannu in Kannada, Jamun in Hindi) forest. Today, a primary school functions from the temple precinct.
The rulers of the state bore the title 'Raja'. The Rajas of Jamkhandi belonged to the Patwardhan dynasty.
The rulers of Jamkhandi were of the Chitpavan Brahmin caste, originally from the Kotawada in Ratnagiri. Haribhat, who was the family priest of another Chitpavan Brahmin, the chief of Ichalkaranji. Three of Haribhat's sons served Peshwa and distinguished themselves during various conquests. The Peshwa awarded them Jagirs of Jamkhandi, Miraj, Sangli and Kurundwad, to honor their bravery and courage.
Jamkhandi was one of the Maratha Princely States of British India and was administered as part of the Bombay Presidency, later by the Deccan States Agency. Jamkhandi was founded by Gopalrao Ramchandrarao Patwardhan (1799-1840) in 1811. He was succeeded by Ramchandrarao Gopalrao Patwardhan (1833-1897), who was a very capable administrator, and moved his capital to Ramtirth, a hill near Jamkhandi, next to an old temple.
- 1811 – 18?? Ramchandra Rao Parashuram Rao
- 18?? – 1840 Gopal Rao Ramchandra Rao
- 18 Nov 1840 – 1897 Ramchandra Rao Gopal Rao a.k.a. Appa Sahib Patwardhan
- 1897 – 25 Feb 1924 Parashuram Rao Ramchandra Rao a.k.a. Bhav Sahib Patwardhan
- 25 Feb 1924 – 15 Aug 1947 Shankar Rao Parashuram Rao a.k.a. Appa Sahib Patwardhan (b. 1906)
- Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 14, p. 46.
- Jamkhandi (Princely State)
- Swami Vivekanand English Medium school and Nutan Vidyalaya Kannada Gandu Makkala Shale, ನೂತನ ವಿದ್ಯಾಲಯ ಕನ್ನಡ ಗಂಡು ಮಕ್ಕಳ ಶಾಲೆ
- Princely States of India
- Jadeja, Arjunsinh (22 October 2013). "The migrant rulers of Jamkhandi" (Bangalore). Deccan Herald. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
|This Indian history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|