Oleksiak with the Penguins in 2018
December 21, 1992|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 7 in (201 cm)|
|Weight||255 lb (116 kg; 18 st 3 lb)|
14th overall, 2011|
Jamieson Oleksiak (born December 21, 1992) is a Canadian ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Dallas Stars of the National Hockey League (NHL). Oleksiak was selected 14th overall in the first round of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the Stars, the highest draft choice in Northeastern University's history.
Oleksiak attended Northeastern University for one year and had 13 points on 4 goals and 9 assists and team-best +13 plus/minus. After his freshman season with the Northeastern Huskies, Oleksiak decided to return to the Canadian Hockey League for further development, and on July 25, 2011 the Saginaw Spirit announced that they had signed Oleksiak to an Ontario Hockey League contract, and on October 6, 2011, it was announced that Oleksiak had signed a three-year entry level contract with the National Hockey League's Dallas Stars. With the Spirit out of contention during the 2011–12 season, Oleksiak was traded to the title contending Niagara IceDogs on January 10, 2012.
On January 30, 2013, the Dallas Stars called up Oleksiak from the Texas Stars of the American Hockey League. Oleksiak assisted Brenden Morrow for his first NHL point on February 13 vs. Calgary Flames.
On October 28, 2014, Oleksiak scored his first career NHL goal against the St. Louis Blues in a 4–3 loss. He'd finish the season with 8 points in 36 games.
Oleksiak's first full season in the NHL with Dallas was the 2016–17 season. While waiver eligible, healthy scratches and a hand injury limited Oleksiak to just 41 games. On August 4, 2017, the Stars re-signed Oleksiak to a one-year, $964,688 contract.
In the 2017–18 season, his sixth season within the Stars organization and having been unable to solidify a role on the blueline, Oleksiak appeared in 21 games recording just 3 points before he was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for a conditional fourth-round pick in 2019 NHL Entry Draft on December 19, 2017. Oleksiak immediately established his role with the Penguins and in his 47 regular-season games with the Penguins following the trade, he scored 4 goals, 10 assists for 14 points with increased ice-time. He made his post-season debut with the Penguins, adding 1 goal in 12 games.
On July 12, 2018, Oleksiak as a restricted free agent, agreed to a three-year, $6.4 million contract extension with the Penguins.
In the 2018–19 season, on December 19, 2018, Oleksiak fought Washington Capitals forward Tom Wilson in the first period and was briefly knocked unconscious. He left the game and did not return. After evaluation, the team announced that Oleksiak had suffered a concussion as a result of the fight and would be sidelined from game action indefinitely. He was eventually cleared to play on December 29. On January 28, 2019 he was traded back to the Dallas Stars by the Pittsburgh Penguins for the same fourth-round draft pick in 2019 that he was originally traded to Pittsburgh for.
Oleksiak as a member of Team Canada at the 2012 World Junior Championships.
|World Junior Championships|
Oleksiak, who holds dual Canadian/United States citizenship, represented the United States in the 2009 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament which finished in fourth place, but later decided he would represent Canada internationally.
Regular season and playoffs
|2009–10||Sioux Falls Stampede||USHL||24||2||2||4||32||3||0||1||1||2|
Awards and honours
|Calder Cup (Texas Stars)||2014|||
- "Spirit sign first round NHL pick Jamie Oleksiak". Saginaw Spirit. July 25, 2011. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- "Spirit Defenseman Jamie Oleksiak Signs Entry Level Deal with Dallas". OurSportsCentral.com. October 6, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "IceDogs acquire Team Canada defenceman Oleksiak from Saginaw". Niagara IceDogs. January 10, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2012.
- Stepneski, Mark (January 31, 2013). "Stars seek different look with Oleksiak, Roussel". NHL.com. Retrieved February 1, 2013.
- "Stars' Jamie Oleksiak out 3 to 6 weeks with hand injury". Sportsnet.ca. Sportsnet. January 13, 2017. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- "Dallas Stars sign defenseman Jamie Oleksiak to a one-year contract". NHL.com. Dallas Stars. August 4, 2017. Retrieved December 14, 2017.
- "Penguins Acquire Defenseman Jamie Oleksiak". NHL.com. December 19, 2017. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- "Penguins re-sign Oleksiak to three-year contract". Pittsburgh Penguins. July 12, 2018. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Blackburn, Pete. "Tom Wilson knocks out Jamie Oleksiak with brutal punch in first game back against Penguins". CBSSports.com. Retrieved December 20, 2018.
- Adamski, Chris (December 20, 2018). "Penguins confirm Jamie Oleksiak has concussion resulting from Tom Wilson punch". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved December 29, 2018.
- Bombulie, Jonathan (December 29, 2018). "Jamie Oleksiak ready to return, but Penguins stick with winning formula on D". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved December 29, 2018.
- "Stars acquire Jamie Oleksiak from Penguins". Dallas Stars. January 28, 2019. Retrieved January 28, 2019.
- Stars select Oleksiak 14th in 2011 NHL Entry Draft « Future Considerations. Futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com (2011-06-24). Retrieved on 2012-01-21.
- Headlines: NHL draft pick Jamie Oleksiak to try out for Team Canada, not USA. The Hockey News (2011-07-05). Retrieved on 2012-01-21.
- "Beach native to suit up with national junior team". 'insidetoronto.com. April 5, 2015. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Rio 2016 Athlete Penny Oleksiak". rio2016.com. June 7, 2016. Archived from the original on August 6, 2016. Retrieved June 7, 2016.
- Canada’s Darling, by the Way, Has a Brother in the N.H.L., The New York Times
- "Dallas Stars' affiliate wins AHL Calder Cup". Dallas Stars. June 18, 2014. Retrieved June 18, 2014.
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or Hockey-Reference.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
| Dallas Stars first round draft pick