James Robert White
James Robert White
December 17, 1962
|Education||B.A., Grand Canyon College|
M.A., Fuller Theological Seminary
|Occupation||Christian apologist, author|
|Known for||Director of Alpha and Omega Ministries|
James Robert White (born December 17, 1962) is the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, an evangelical Reformed Baptist Christian apologetics organization based in Phoenix, Arizona. He has contributed to more than twenty books.
Early life and education
White graduated with a BA from Grand Canyon University (formerly known as Grand Canyon College) and an MA from Fuller Theological Seminary. He earned ThM, ThD and DMin degrees from Columbia Evangelical Seminary (formerly Faraston Theological Seminary) an unaccredited online school. In March 2017, White announced that he is working on an accredited PhD at North-West University in Potchefstroom, South Africa in the field of textual criticism.
White served as an elder of Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church in Phoenix, Arizona, from 1998 until 2018. He became Scholar-in-Residence at Apologia Church in Tempe, Arizona in 2018, and was installed as that church's pastor in 2019.
White is the director of Alpha and Omega Ministries, a Christian apologetics organization based in Phoenix, Arizona. He received a BA from Grand Canyon College, and an MA from Fuller Theological Seminary. He was also a critical consultant for the Lockman Foundation's New American Standard Bible.
White often engages in public debate, having participated in more than 150 public moderated debates, covering topics such as Calvinism, Roman Catholicism, Islam, Mormonism, the King James Only movement, Jehovah's Witnesses, and atheism. His debate opponents have included scholars such as Bart Ehrman, John Dominic Crossan, Marcus Borg, Robert M. Price, Joe Ventilacion and popularizers such as Dan Barker and John Shelby Spong as well as Islamic scholar Shabir Ally and South African Muslim apologist Yusuf Ismail.
He is married and he and his wife have two children. He also has two grandchildren.
- Justification by Faith, Crowne, 1990, ISBN 978-0-925703-40-8
- Answers to Catholic Claims: A Discussion of Biblical Authority, Crowne, January 1, 1990, ISBN 978-0-925703-36-1
- God's Sovereign Grace, Crowne, April 1, 1991, ISBN 978-0-925703-41-5
- Letters to a Mormon Elder, Crowne, 1990, ISBN 978-0-925703-59-0
- The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern Translations?, Baker, 1995, ISBN 978-1-55661-575-7
- The Roman Catholic Controversy, Baker, August 1, 1996, ISBN 978-1-55661-819-2
- Grieving: Your Path Back to Peace, Baker, October 1, 1997, ISBN 978-0-7642-2000-5
- Is the Mormon My Brother?: Discerning the Differences Between Mormonism and Christianity, Bethany House, 1997, ISBN 978-1-55661-714-0
- Johnson, Kevin; White, James (June 15, 1998), What's with the dudes at the door?, Bethany House, ISBN 978-0-7642-2070-8
- Mary: Another Redeemer?, Bethany House, 1998, ISBN 978-0-7642-2102-6
- The Forgotten Trinity, Baker, November 1, 1998, ISBN 978-1-55661-725-6
- Johnson, Kevin; White, James (October 1, 1999), What's With the Mutant in the Microscope: Stuff to Know When Science Says Your Uncle Is a Monkey, Bethany House, ISBN 978-0-7642-2187-3
- The Potter's Freedom: A Defense of the Reformation and Reply Norman Geisler's Chosen But Free, Calvary Press, August 22, 2007, ISBN 978-1-879737-43-3
- The God who Justifies, Bethany House, 2001, ISBN 978-0-7642-2288-7
- White, James; Niell, Jeff (April 1, 2002), The Same Sex Controversy: Defending and Clarifying the Bible's Message About Homosexuality, Baker, ISBN 978-0-7642-2524-6
- Hunt, Dave; White, James (2004), Debating Calvinism: Five Points, Two Views, Multnomah, ISBN 978-1-59052-273-8
- Akin, Daniel; Garrett, James; Reymond, Robert; White, James; Zahl, Paul (2004), Brand, Chad; Norman, R (eds.), Perspectives on Church Government: Five Views of Church Polity, B&H Publishing Group, pp. 278–, ISBN 978-0-8054-2590-1
- Scripture Alone: Exploring the Bible's Accuracy, Authority and Authenticity, Baker Publishing Group, October 1, 2004, ISBN 978-0-7642-2048-7
- Pulpit Crimes, Solid Ground Christian Books, October 1, 2006, ISBN 978-1-59925-090-8
- From Toronto to Emmaus the Empty Tomb and the Journey from Skepticism to Faith, Solid Ground Christian Books, March 1, 2007, ISBN 978-1-59925-112-7
- What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an, Baker Books, May 1, 2013, ISBN 978-1-44126-052-9
- "Of Doctorates and Eternity".
- "James R. White, D.Min., Th.D. – Faculty Mentor".
- "CES Learning About Accreditation".
- "The Saga of Accreditation | Alpha and Omega Ministries".
- "The Benedict Option, Tim Keller, South Africa and London, and an Important Announcement". Retrieved May 3, 2017.
- "Alpha and Omega Ministries, The Christian Apologetics Ministry of James R. White". vintage.aomin.org. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Our Elders, Phoenix Reformed Baptist Church, 2011, retrieved May 12, 2014
- NASB, Amplified, LBLA, and NBLH Bibles, The Lockman Foundation, 2014, retrieved May 12, 2014
- James White, Alpha and Omega Ministries, 2014, retrieved May 12, 2014
- South Dakota Apologetics (April 21, 2017). "Dr. James White vs Bro. Joe Ventilacion – Who Is God? – Trinity Debate – Official" – via YouTube.
- 2006 Alpha and Omega National Conference, Sovereign Cruises, retrieved May 12, 2014