|Alma mater||University of Sydney|
|Occupation||Lawyer, winemaker, wine judge, wine writer|
|James Halliday Annual Wine Companion|
Since 1979 he has written and co-authored more than 40 books on wine, including contributions to the Larousse Encyclopedia of Wine and The Oxford Companion to Wine. Since 1986 he has published an annual overview of Australian wine which (since 2000) has been entitled James Halliday Annual Wine Companion.
James Halliday studied law at the University of Sydney. He started his wine career while being a partner at Clayton Utz from 1966 to 1988 (with a break from 1974 to 1976 when he worked for a merchant bank). He established Brokenwood winery in the Hunter Region in 1970 with two legal colleagues. He sold it in 1983. In 1985 he founded the Coldstream Hills Winery in the Yarra Valley wine region. Coldstream Hills was acquired by Southcorp Wines in 1996 with Halliday taking on the position of Group Winemaker, Regional Wineries with Southcorp.
Halliday's career as a wine judge started in 1977 and he has been accorded the role of Chairman of Judges of the Victorian Wine Show, Sydney International Winemakers Competition, Adelaide Wine Show and National Wine Show Canberra. He also has judged at the Concours Mondial de Bruxelles and in wine competitions in the United Kingdom, United States, South Africa and New Zealand.
Awards received for his writing include the Wine Spectator Book of the Year for Wine Atlas of California, the Gold Award at the World Food Media Awards for the Wine Atlas of Australia and New Zealand, and Best Multimedia Lifestyle Product at the Australian Industry Multimedia Awards for James Halliday's Interactive Wine Companion of Australia and New Zealand CD-ROM". Several of his books have been translated into European and Asian languages. He received the Charles Heidsieck Award for Excellence in Wine Journalism in 1983, the James Beard Foundation Award in both 1993 and 1994, the Julia Child award for Best Wine, Spirits or Beer Book in 1994, and the Maurice O'Shea Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Australian wine industry in 1995.
In June 2010, Halliday was made a Member of the Order of Australia (AM) in the 2010 Queen's Birthday Honours for "service to the wine industry as a winemaker, show judge, author and promoter of Australian wine internationally, and through senior roles with a range of professional organisations.".
Books and media
- Coonawarra : the history, the vignerons & the wines, (1983) ISBN 0-9592306-0-2
- Clare Valley, the history, the vignerons & the wines, (1985), ISBN 0-9592306-1-0
- James Halliday's Australian wine guide, (1986),
- Setting up your own wine cellar (1992), ISBN 0-207-17498-9
- A history of the Australian wine industry 1949-1994, (1994), ISBN 1-875130-16-0
- An introduction to Australian wine 2nd ed (1996), ISBN 0-207-19107-7
- Classic wines of Australia (1997)
- Australia and New Zealand wine Companion 1997
- Australia and New Zealand wine Companion 1998
- Wine Atlas of Australia and New Zealand, (1998) ISBN 0-7322-6448-0
- James Halliday's wine odyssey... (2003)
- Australia & New Zealand wine companion, (2003) ISBN 0-7322-7625-X
- James Halliday's Wine Companion 2005, (2004) ISBN 0-7322-8023-0
- James Halliday Australian Wine Companion 2006 edition, (2005) ISBN 0-7322-8072-9
- James Halliday Australian Wine Companion 2007 edition, (2006) ISBN 0-7322-8369-8
- The Art and Science of Wine: The Subtle Artistry and Sophisticated Science of the Winemaker, (2006, co-authored with Hugh Johnson)
- James Halliday Australian Wine Companion 2008 edition, (2007) ISBN 1-74066-515-5
- Wine Atlas of Australia, (2006) ISBN 1-74066-348-9
- The Australian Wine Encyclopedia, Hardie Grant Books (2009) ISBN 978-1-74066-774-6
- Heart & soul : Australia's First Families of Wine, (2010) ISBN 978-1-74246-924-9 (as Foreword writer)
- James Halliday Wine Companion 2014 (2013)
- James Halliday Australian Wine Companion, 2014
- James Halliday's wine atlas of Australia, (2014)
- Halliday Wine Companion 2016 (2015)
- Halliday biography winepros
- Kissack, Chris, thewinedoctor.com. "Wine Books: Jancis Robinson".
- Robinson, Jancis, jancisrobinson.com (2 September 2006). "Farewell Len - a true lover of wine".
- "James Halliday". State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 11 September 2020.
- Halliday, James (2012), James Halliday : a life in wine, Hardie Grant, ISBN 978-1-74066-672-5
- "Member of the Order of Australia (AM) entry for Mr James HALLIDAY". It's an Honour, Australian Honours Database. Canberra, Australia: Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 14 June 2010. Retrieved 11 September 2020.
For service to the wine industry as a winemaker, show judge, author and promoter of Australian wine internationally, and through senior roles with a range of professional organisations.CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Halliday, James, 1938- (1986), James Halliday's Australian wine guide, Angus & Robertson, ISSN 0817-0215CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Halliday, James (1997), Classic wines of Australia, HarperCollins, ISBN 978-0-7322-5789-7
- Pymble, N.S.W. : Angus & Robertson, 1997–2001
- Halliday, James, 1938- (1998), Australia & New Zealand wine companion, Angus & Robertson, ISSN 1445-5447CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Halliday, James (2003), James Halliday's wine odyssey : a year of wine, food and travel, HarperCollins, ISBN 978-0-7322-7831-1
- The series title varies, the 2005 edition has the title: James Halliday wine companion whereas from the 2006 edition to the - 2015 edition have the title: James Halliday Australian wine companion
- Halliday, J. C. (James C.) (2009), The Australian Wine Encyclopedia, Hardie Grant Books, ISBN 978-1-74273-245-9
- Lofts, Graeme; Halliday, James, 1938- (2010), Heart & soul : Australia's First Families of Wine, John Wiley & Sons Australia, ISBN 978-1-74246-924-9CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Halliday, James (2013), James Halliday Australian wine companion : the bestselling and definitive guide to Australian wine (2014 ed.), Richmond, Vic. Hardie Grant Books, ISBN 978-1-74270-539-2
- Halliday, James; Humphrys, Richard (2014), James Halliday's wine atlas of Australia (2014 ed.), Melbourne Hardie Grant, ISBN 978-1-74270-396-1
- Halliday, James (2015), Halliday wine companion 2016 : the bestselling and definitive guide to Australian wine (2016 ed.), Richmond, Victoria Hardie Grant Books, ISBN 978-1-74379-004-5