Barr read modern history at Lincoln College, Oxford.
In 2006, Barr's history on Lawrence of Arabia and the British war effort in the Middle East was published by Bloomsbury. His second book, A Line in the Sand, on Anglo-French rivalry in the Middle East during the interwar period and World War II, appeared in 2011.
- Setting the Desert on Fire: T. E. Lawrence and Britain's Secret War in Arabia, 1916-1918 (2006)
- A Line in the Sand: Britain, France and the Struggle that Shaped the Middle East (2011). Paperback (2012), ISBN 978-1847394576
- Lords of the Desert: Britain's Struggle with America to Dominate the Middle East (2018).
- "Visiting Professors and Fellows: Barr, James". King's College London. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- Seale, Patrick (August 26, 2011). "A Line in the Sand". Financial Times. Financial Times. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- Barr, James (19 May 2005). "Lawrence's unhappy legacy still casts a shadow over the Middle East". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
|This article about a writer or poet from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|