Jahmil X.T Qubeka
Jahmil Xolani Thandikhaya Qubeka
26 March 1979
Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, South Africa
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, producer|
He has mostly worked on action, crime, and drama films that tell the story of post-apartheid South Africa, and has received multiple accolades, including Best Director at the 15th edition of the Africa Movie Academy Awards for Sew the Winter to My Skin.
Qubeka was born in a Xhosa family in what used to be the nominally independent state of Ciskei. Although he was born during the apartheid era, he grew up in a relatively elite Black neighborhood, and stated that he "doesn’t have the weight of apartheid on his shoulders." He describes his father as a cinephile who constantly watched movies.
He states that Stanley Kubrick and Fritz Lang are among his biggest cinematic influences, but that he also enjoys comedy and is a huge fan of American comedian Eddie Murphy. He also stated that the 1982 Murphy-starring 48 Hrs. is one of his favorite films.
Qubeka's 2013 film Of Good Report was originally chosen to open the Durban International Film Festival, but was announced that it was banned by the National Film and Video Foundation of South Africa for containing an "unethical" romance between a teacher and a student, constituting what the board said was "child pornography". This decision was later overturned after an appeal by the producers of the film. Of Good Report later won the 2014 Africa Movie Academy Award for Best Film.
Speaking on his 2019 film Knuckle City, Qubeka stated that he looked forward to mixing genres on his future film projects, and also spoke about the "toxic masculinity" that exists in South African culture.
He is currently filming an action television show called Blood Psalms. It will star South African actress Thando Thabethe, Sello Maake Ka Ncube and Warren Masemola, and tells the story of an African queen who's battling a world-ending prophecy to navigate her people through politics and never-ending wars. He is also on the pre-production of two other projects, both directed by him, called The White Devil and Iron Mike. The latter being solely written by him. Not much is known about them as of August 2020.
Guy Lodge for Variety praised Qubeka's unique attempts of telling post-apartheid South Africa's story in film making that is not solely based on racial segregation, but violence and patriarchal sexuality. The adoption of black and white sequence of images, as opposed to colored, was also highlighted as adding a positive uniqueness to the film Of Good Report. He summarized its review by stating, "Jahmil X.T. Qubeka's striking but grisly feature swerves wildly from obsessive student-teacher romance into splattering horror."
- 2006 : Shogun Khumalo Is Dying! (short)
- 2010 : A Small Town Called Descent
- 2013 : Of Good Report
- 2018 : Sew the Winter to My Skin
- 2019 : Knuckle City
- "5 Questions for Filmmaker Jahmil XT Qubeka". africasacountry. Retrieved 18 April 2020.
- "Jahmil X.T. Qubeka". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "AMAA 2019: Here are all the winners at the 15th edition of movie award". Pulse Nigeria. 2019-10-27. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- Rorich, Dezi (July 22, 2013). "South Africa Banned Film Director Jahmil Qubeka Speaks Out". Variety. Retrieved November 16, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Of Good Report: The serial killer movie they tried to ban". CNN. August 21, 2013. Retrieved November 18, 2018.
- "SA's 'Of Good Report' scoops 13 Africa movie award nominations". May 8, 2014. Retrieved November 18, 2018.
- Gbenga, Bada (27 October 2019). "AMAA 2019: Here are all the winners at the 15th edition of award". Pulse NG. Retrieved 29 October 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Vourlias, Christopher (July 18, 2019). "Jahmil X.T. Qubeka on Durban Opening-Night Film 'Knuckle City'". Variety. Retrieved November 16, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ferreira, Thinus. "Epic new local drama series Blood Psalms coming to Showmax in 2021". Channel. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "'Blood Psalms' shot in Eastern Cape to be aired internationally". DispatchLIVE. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- Iron Mike, retrieved 2020-08-17
- The White Devil, retrieved 2020-08-17
- Lodge, Guy (November 5, 2013). "Film Review: 'Of Good Report'". Variety. Retrieved November 16, 2019.