|• Type||Board of Commissioners|
|• Total||40.07 sq mi (103.77 km2)|
|• Land||40.07 sq mi (103.77 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||49.27/sq mi (19.02/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Jackson Township is in northern Dauphin County, in the Ridge and Valley region of the Appalachian Mountains. It is a long, narrow township, extending east-west, with its northern border following the crest of Berry Mountain. The western half of the township is an agricultural area surrounding the valley of Armstrong Creek, while the eastern half is occupied by Berry Mountain and Broad Mountain, with some portions being part of Weiser State Forest. The unincorporated communities of Fisherville, Enders, and Dietrich are in the western half of the township.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,728 people, 652 households, and 537 families residing in the township. The population density was 44.4 people per square mile (17.1/km²). There were 679 housing units at an average density of 17.4/sq mi (6.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.15% White, 0.35% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.06% Asian, 1.04% from other races, and 0.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.22% of the population.
There were 652 households, out of which 31.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.2% were married couples living together, 6.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 17.6% were non-families. 14.3% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.64 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the township the population was spread out, with 21.4% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 29.9% from 25 to 44, 29.3% from 45 to 64, and 11.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $47,330, and the median income for a family was $53,523. Males had a median income of $32,917 versus $25,032 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,181. About 4.6% of families and 5.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.1% of those under age 18 and 3.2% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Jackson township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 16, 2015.
- Notes and Queries, Historical, Biographical and Genealogical, Relating Chiefly to Interior Pennsylvania. Harrisburg Publishing Company. 1895. p. 20.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved 2008-01-31.