|Jack and the Beanstalk|
|Directed by||Gary J. Tunnicliffe|
|Produced by||Gary DePew|
Gary J. Tunnicliffe
|Written by||Flip Kobler|
Chloë Grace Moretz
James Earl Jones
|Music by||Randy Miller|
|Edited by||Andrew Cohen|
Avalon Family Entertainment
Jack Thatcher (Colin Ford) must perform a heroic deed or flunk out of fairy tale school. He sells a valuable possession for magic beans that grow into a giant beanstalk overnight. He climbs the enchanted beanstalk and enters a magical and dangerous world to rescue Destiny (Madison Davenport), a little girl who has been transformed into a harp by an evil giant.
This version of the tale includes references to other fairy tale characters as well as contemporary elements.
- Colin Ford as Jack
- Chloë Grace Moretz as Damsel in Distress / Jillian Squarejaw
- Gilbert Gottfried as Grayson
- James Earl Jones as The Giant (voice)
- William Brent as Prince Charming
- Emily Rose Everhard as Red Riding Hood
- Sadie Ebeyer-Deist as Sleeping Beauty
- Victoria Atilano as Ugly Step Sister
- Atalaya Atilano as Mean Step Sister
- Anthony Skillman as Hansel
- Sammi Hanratty as Gretel
- Daniel Roebuck as Mayor Lichfield
- Wallace Shawn as Broker / Booker / Lancelot Squarejaw
- Katey Sagal as Jack's Mother
- Adair Tishler as Rapunzel
- James Karen as Verri Saddius
- Madison Davenport as Destiny
- David Mattey as The Giant
- Christopher Lloyd as Headmaster
- Jeff L. Deist as Dobbytok
- Gary J. Tunnicliffe as Dobbytok (voice)
- Frank Payne as Sergeant Who
- Kevin Schon as Officer What
- Hal B. Klein as Officer Where
- Chevy Chase as General Antipode
- Alan Gray as Muckity Muck
- Brian Peck as The Emperor
Production and release
Home media release
The film was released on home video in the United States by Screen Media Films on May 11, 2010.
In an otherwise positive review, MovieGuide wrote, "The sets and costumes are occasionally hokey. Also, the occasional toilet humor and slapstick comedy sometimes detracts from the movie’s natural charm." Nevertheless, MovieGuide gave the film 3/4 stars.
Jason Best of What's on TV wrote that Jack and the Beanstalk "seeks to emulate the playful wit of the wondrous The Princess Bride but falls woefully short." He went on to note that "Christopher Lloyd, Wallace Shawn and Chevy Chase are also involved, so you’d expect the film to be a lot funnier than it is, but Gary J Tunnicliffe’s flat direction doesn’t give anyone a chance to shine."
- Jack and the beanstalk: an adventure of gigantic proportions. 28 March 2018. OCLC 567744510.
- "Jack and the Beanstalk - Movie Review".
- "JACK AND THE BEANSTALK - Movieguide - Movie Reviews for Christians". 20 September 2016.
- "Jack and the Beanstalk – review - cast and crew, movie star rating and where to watch film on TV and online". Radio Times.
- "Film review - Jack and the Beanstalk - A less-than-enchanting fairy-tale flop - Movie Talk - What's on TV". 24 February 2012.
- "Jack and the Beanstalk - Dove Family Friendly Movie Reviews".
- "Rent Jack and the Beanstalk (2009) on DVD and Blu-ray - DVD Netflix". dvd.netflix.com.