|"Jack and Jill"|
|Single by Raydio|
|from the album Raydio|
|Songwriter(s)||Ray Parker Jr.|
|Producer(s)||Ray Parker Jr.|
|Raydio singles chronology|
"Jack and Jill" is a 1978 hit song by R&B vocal group Raydio. It was the first single from their eponymous debut album Raydio, and became an international top 10 hit. It reached number eight on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and number six on the Cashbox Top 100. It reached number five in Canada, number four in Australia, and the top 20 in UK. It was the first of five U.S. top 10 singles by Ray Parker Jr. and/or Raydio.
The song describes how "Jack" is lonely and so, in spite of his good intentions, wanders down the hill to find love elsewhere after being neglected by "Jill," who is seldom home.
In 1981, "A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do)" became a hit as an answer song to "Jack and Jill". Parker wrote an antithesis from "Jill's" perspective, according to the lyrics, "By the time poor Jack returned up the hill, somebody else had been loving Jill."
In 1982, Parker recorded an extended version of the song. It was released on a re-issue of his second solo album. In this version, Parker performed all of the vocals instead of just some of them.
- Ray Parker Jr. – guitars, chorus lead vocals
- Jerry Knight – bass, 1st lead vocals
- Arnell Carmichael – 2nd lead vocals
- Ollie E. Brown – drums
- Sylvester Rivers – piano
- Sylvia Duckworth, Valerie Jones, Francine Pearlman, Rochelle Runnels, Janice Williams - background vocals
- "Ray Parker Jr. - Woman Out Of Control". Discogs.com. 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 2, 2016. Retrieved May 4, 2016.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Steffen Hung. "Raydio - Jack And Jill". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1978 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1978-12-31. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Music: Top 100 Songs | Billboard Hot 100 Chart". Billboard.com. 1978-04-29. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "RPM - Library and Archives Canada - RPM - Bibliothèque et Archives Canada". collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1978/Top 100 Songs of 1978". musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 4, 2016. Retrieved November 3, 2015.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)