|Sources: except where noted|
The JT 42BW is a class of four axle Bo'Bo' diesel electric locomotives manufactured by Alstom's Meinfesa plant in Spain for Israel Railways (IR). The locomotives were the primary passenger locomotive unit used by IR through the 2000s.
The locomotives are of the Prima type, produced at Alstom's plant in Valencia, Spain in collaboration with GM-EMD; the locomotives use EMD traction equipment and an EMD 710 engine. They were acquired to provide additional passenger services created as a result of investment in the 1990s which included the re-opening of several lines to passenger traffic. The locomotives are used to propel push-pull trains - a typical formation (2009) uses one locomotive, five double deck coaches, and a double deck driving trailer; the vehicles were the main passenger locomotive of IR, and half of its locomotive fleet (2007).
The locomotives were ordered in several batches between 1996 and 2006, the second batch of ten units allowed the 6 axle JT 42CW freight locomotives to return to their intended duties after they were transferred to passenger work due to lack of locomotives.
In 2011 IR ordered 24 four axle Bo'Bo' Euro 3000 AC locomotives from Alstom Valencia successor company Vossloh España; these locomotives inherit some design features from the JT42BW, including the use of an EMD 710 engine, though unlike the JT42BW the locomotives use AC motors controlled by IGBT electronics.
- Israel Railways JT 42CW, contemporary freight locomotives from the same manufacturer
- "Archived copy" הנחיות לתכנון מתקני עצירת רכבות (PDF), www.iroads.co.il (in Hebrew), רכבת ישראל בע״מ, נספח ב': סוגי רכבות נוסעים וקטרי, July 2009, archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-09-29, retrieved 2012-03-16CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Diesel-Electric Locomotives : JT42 BW" (PDF), www.vossloh-espana.com, Vossloh, archived from the original (PDF) on 7 April 2009
- Harel Even Airo (October 2011), "Israel Railways : A development Plan in Progress" (PDF), Bulletin, The Institution of Railway Operators (30): 6–7[permanent dead link]
- "1 - Technical Requirements" (PDF), Tender No. MC/RC/03/09 For the Supply of Double Deck Push Pull Coaches, B TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS, 22 December 2009, p. 14
- Walter Rothschild, ed. (June 2007), "Israel Railways Statistics" (PDF), HaRakevet, 20#3 (77): 8
- Рельсовый транспорт Израиля, Железные Дороги Мира (in Russian) (12), 2000, archived from the original on 2012-07-28
- Chen Melling; Sybil Ehrlich (September 2006), Walter Rothschild (ed.), "New Israel Railways Timetable" (PDF), HaRakevet, 19#3 (74, number 3): 6–7
- "Israel Railways orders 29 locomotives of the EURO family from Vossloh España", vossloh-espana.com, Vossloh España, 2011, archived from the original on 2013-02-08
- "Vossloh España to supply 29 locomotives to Israel Railways", www.spanishrailwaymews.com
- "Traction diagram of JT42BW locomotive" (PDF), www.rail.co.il, archived from the original (PDF) on 2010-05-08, retrieved 2012-03-16
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JT 42BW (Israel).|
- "Picture Gallery - Directory: /pix/ne/Israel/diesel/JT42BW", www.railfaneurope.net
- יואל זהר (20 April 2007), "מזדקנים על מסילה", www.haaretz.co.il (in Hebrew)CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link) CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link), article on JT42BW and EMD G12 of IR