|Type||International nongovernmental organization|
|International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics|
|Website||IAVCEI Official website|
The International Association of Volcanology and Chemistry of the Earth's Interior (IAVCEI) is a learned society that focuses on research in volcanology, efforts to mitigate volcanic disasters, and research into closely related disciplines, such as igneous geochemistry and petrology, geochronology, volcanogenic mineral deposits, and the physics of the generation and ascent of magmas in the upper mantle and crust. It is one of eight constituent associations of the International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG).
IAVCEI is run by an Executive Committee whose membership changes every four years. The Executive determines policies for the Association, enacting them through a series of commissions and task groups. Bulletin of Volcanology is the journal of IAVCEI.
The International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics, a non-governmental organisation, was established in 1919. The Volcanology section of the IUGG, also founded in 1919, was the forerunner of the IAVCEI. It was formally constituted at the First General Assembly of the IUGG (Rome, 1922). The name was changed to International Association of Volcanology (IAV) at the Fourth General Assembly of the IUGG (Stockholm, 1930). IAV statutes and by-laws were adopted in Helsinki in 1960 and were revised in Zurich in 1967 and in Canberra in 1979. The association's present name was adopted in 1967 in order to harmonise with the name of the International Association of Seismology and the Physics of the Earth's Interior (IASPEI).
IAVCEI statutes and objectives
The statutes of IAVCEI include four objectives:
- To study scientific problems related to volcanoes and volcanic processes, past and present, and to the chemistry of the Earth's interior.
- To encourage, initiate and coordinate research, and promote international cooperation in these studies.
- To encourage volcanologists to alert appropriate authorities about the importance of adequate surveillance of active and potentially active volcanoes, and of volcanic risk assessment.
- To arrange for the discussion and publication of the results of scientific research on volcanology and on the chemistry of the Earth's interior.
Countries are members of IUGG. After 1996 individuals have been able to become members of IAVCEI.
The Bulletin of Volcanology is the journal of IAVCEI. It is a continuation of the Bulletin Volcanologique, which began publication in 1922.
The association has published 22 volumes of the Catalogue of the Active Volcanoes of the World. The Catalogue was announced in 1924, and was begun in 1948 when the regional arrangement and format were established. The first volume, on Indonesia, was published in 1951, and the 22nd volume, on New Zealand, in 1967.
- Thorarinsson Medal, in honor of Sigurdur Thorarinsson (1912–1983)
- Wager Medal, in honor of Lawrence Wager (1904–1965)
- Krafft Medal, in honor of Katia Krafft (1942–1991) and Maurice Krafft (1946–1991)
- George Walker Awards, in honor of George P. L. Walker (1926–2005)
- Volcano Number - a system developed for the Catalogue of the Active Volcanoes of the World
- IAVCEI About Us. Archived 2000-05-20 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 01 Apr 2015.
- "IUGG Yearbook 2012" (PDF). IUGG Yearbook. International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics. 2012: 3. ISSN 1028-3846. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2012-08-18.
- Schmincke, H.U. (June 1995). "IAVCEI: Who we are and what we do". Bulletin of Volcanology. 57 (3): 201–218. Bibcode:1995BVol...57..201.. doi:10.1007/BF00265040.