|Purpose||Advertising media and marketing communications agencies in the United Kingdom|
|c. 320 agencies|
The Institute of Practitioners in Advertising (IPA), incorporated by Royal Charter is the trade body and professional institute for agencies in the UK's advertising, media and marketing communications industry. It covers all aspects of the agency business: creative, digital marketing, direct marketing, healthcare, media, out-of-home advertising, sales promotion and sponsorship sectors. It currently has around 300 agency members.
The role of the IPA is to promote the value of media, marketing and advertising agencies. It is a spokesman for the industry. It also runs a number of programmes to define, help and maintain the highest possible standards of professional practice. This includes award schemes such as the IPA Effectiveness Awards, best practice guidelines, and surveys including the quarterly IPA Bellwether Report (compiled by Markit Economics), and annual IPA Agency Census. Its members have access to over 80 training courses, a variety of online and offline qualifications programmes and a full range of advisory services. It also offers professional accreditation to anyone who undertakes a minimum number of its qualifications.
Founded in 1917 as the Association of British Advertising Agents, its members account for over 85 per cent of the media spend in the UK. All IPA members actively participate in the IPA's programme of continuing professional development.
In 2017, Sarah Golding, CEO and Partner of CHI & Partners, was elected as its president with a 'Magic and the Machines' agenda. Here she pledges to maximise the potential of automation and machine-learning to enhance the advertising industry while also protecting it from its dark side.
In 2011, Paul Bainsfair succeeded Hamish Pringle as its Director General. He has also been Chairman of Iris Worldwide, President TBWA Europe, Director of Omnicom Europe, Founder and Co-Chairman of Bainsfair Sharkey Trott and CEO of Saatchi & Saatchi.
The IPA was awarded a Royal Charter in December 2015. It came into effect officially when it was sealed on 13 April 2016. The Charter is on display at 44 Belgrave Square, London SW1.
- "Institute of Practitioners in Advertising". Partners. WARC. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "IPA: About". IPA. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "IPA Effectiveness". IPA. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "IPA Bellwether Report". IPA. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Reynolds, John (11 July 2013). "UK marketing spend rising as optimism grows, finds IPA Bellwether report". Guardian. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "IPA Agency Census". IPA. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Advertising Association members". Members. Advertising Association. Archived from the original on 3 January 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- Creative Industries Council
|This marketing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|